801 or 841 ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tambo, Feb 20, 2004.

1. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

We bought a tractor yesterday.On the side of the hood it says Ford 801 powermaster.When I found the serial number it has 841.Does anyone know about this kind of tractor or any web sites?

Tambo

2. The number 801 designates a series of tractors, while the 841 designates the particular model within the series.

Model 841 manufactured from 1957-1962
    Manufacuted in gas, propane, and diesel models.
    Ford 4 cylinder engines of 172 cubic inch displacement were used.
    Horsepower was 45 or 50 PTO.
    There were several different transmission arrangements as to number of gears.
    Weight 3487 to 3680 depending upon the model/fuel.
    List price $3080 to 3700 depending up engine and set up.

http://www.ytmag.com

3. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Tambo,

I have an 801 with a 172 cu in diesel. It is a great piece of equipment and I would not trade mine for any other that I've met. It may be a 2 wheel drive, but it goes places I cannot take my 4wd truck, nor would want to. I live in serious hill country so respect is needed in moving it around.

Ford rates these at 53 HP and I normally use a two bottom plow, an 8 foot disc, a 7 foot landscape rake, an 8 foot blade for grading, and have a concrete 1 sack mixer for it. Runs all week on a tank of fuel and smiles at all I demand of it. I also built a carry-all box for the 3 point hitch to move firewood or whatever.

I have shop manuals for it so if you need questions answered let me know. As I said, I think this is one of the great tractors and can highly recommend it as strong tough and capable of getting done whatever work is asked of it.

bearkiller

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

You have a 4 speed, non-live pto (transmission pto) 841 gas tractor. Pretty nice machine. An 851 would be 5 speed a little nicer; a 861 would be 5spd and live pto which would be about the best. Numbers above that are the SoS auto tranny, which actually worked great, but is spendy to repair.

If it were diesel it should be 841-D, etc. Your tractor is the newer version of the 100 series, like a 840 - there is very little real difference, they just spiffed them up a little. Also, your tractor is just like the 900 / 901 series, only yours is the lower wide front, and the 900 series is the taller row-crop, either narrow or wide front.

For big pto loads like a brush cutter, you want an Over Running Clutch to prevent the cutter moving the tractor around after you push in the clutch - the pto & rear wheels are locked together and the flywheel of the brush cutter will keep you moving - into the fence, into the lake, into....

www.ytmag.com is about the best site for discussion of these, plus they will give you links to more info.

--->Paul

5. Ohiosteve

Ohiosteve Well-Known Member

Tambo,
    In my opinion you have about the best small farm tractor ever made. Parts availability is excellent and reasonably priced. If this is your first tractor you will not miss things like live power and live hydraulics. Please install an Over Riding Clutch (ORC) on power take off shaft.

6. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

It will have live hydraulics. Piston pump even on the xx1 series. It will be a bonus to have remote hydraulics - that would be a lever (or 2) right under the seat on a little box, and 2 hyd hoses out the back of the tractor to connect a hyd cylinder. Also it may or not have power steering.

--->Paul