8000 $ an acre ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by akmyilee, May 31, 2005.

1. akmyilee

akmyilee Well-Known Member

does this seem rediculous??? This is the cheapest that I have been able to find for under 10 acres........If we go BIG it goes down to about 2500 $ an acre but we definatly don't want more than 10. If we go down to 2 or 3 acres it is looking like about 10$ an acre........This also has an old trailer on it already set up. I don't know, land shopping is alot harder than house shopping it is frustrating....:(

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

So buy a big parcel for $2500 and acre, lop off your 10 acres, and sell the remaining acreage for $5000 an acre.

3. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

That is what land in Conway area is going for. A neighbor was asking $45,000 for 3 wooded(no timber) acre's, but it didn't sale---he was offered $36,000, but he wouldn't sale. He is also got 6 acre's for sale at the city limits but not in---Asking $150,000------it want perk and no city utilities, but they are close-----Wonder if he will get that------Maybe soon. Marion county has some good prices on land in the 378 area, but no cable, cell phones are limited. A friend bought 35 acrea's a few years(Maybe 6) back for $25,000, but its probably worth more now. Good Luck. Randy

4. mrs.H

mrs.H Romans 8:28

Yes that is too much. The reason we didn't buy land in north GA was the 10grand an acre problem. We live north of Atlanta in a sub division.

Mid and western Tn. has very reasonable prices. We are paying off 18 acres at $900 an Acre in western Tn. now. It had nothing but young pine an bramble on it. Now We ran electric out to a small 2 bdrm trailor we put on it. They are going to run city water out there soon. And we are working in it when we get the chance.

If you go to unitedcountry.com and search by state they have some good stuff.

5. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Yes, that amount is both painful and not surprising.

Our farm is slowly becoming surrounded by subdivisions so we have some hard decisions to make. Do the folks want to sell the home place? Do we want to work taht hard to buy it then be surrounded by subdivisions? Even so, do the kids want to give up Grandma and Grandpa's farm? Would they need to sell it to afford a nursing home? And since the property lines make an odd shape with no road frontage would it be hard to sell?

DH got into a road rage incident a few mornings ago. He was making a left turn with tractor and hay wagon into the farm lane when someone in a big new SUV came flying over the hill and planned to pass him just as he was turning. The driver was leaning on the horn, yelling and waving his arms ... just thinking that could get worse.

Anyway, land around goes for about $3,000 to $5,000 for bare land. For a wooded building site, more than $10,000 is not unusual.

In some areas, where it's all rocks and scrub, why not build there because you can't farm it anyway.

But in others, where the land is flat as a pool table and good soil it seems like a major waste to build on it.

Land is a finite natural resource and some day we might be sorry for not saving more of it for farm use.

:soap:

I'm done now. Thank you for your indulgence

Ann

6. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

We have often wondered what the lots around us fetches - RAW land - and we found out because someone actually posted it on their FOR SALE SIGN (big no no around here)..... (funny that sign was gone and replaced with the realtor sign the following day -you can't sell your land here without realtor representation!!)

The sign read - FOR SALE TWO 1/2 acre wooded lots - $8,500 or take both for $16,000

I couldn't believe it!! We aren't talking out the in boonies here!! Just wooded lots between subdivisions, etc.. you would have neighbors surrounding you!!! UGH! And it isn't in that great of an area!! (sloped and doesn't drain well)

I wouldn't give $1 for the property we are on!! Drainage issues are horrible and yet the city says its not their fault!!!

7. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Where are you looking?

Our land is about 35 miles from Spartanburg so that would be about 135 miles from Cola...

Should be 'doable' every weekend IF you want land in NC.

It is in a county that is on the rise after the disasters of all the textile mills closing...so should be an investment of sorts.

PM me if interested.

Oh and $8,000/acre is too much in my opiion-we didn't want to pay more than $3000/acre-we paid slightly less than that.

8. akmyilee

dh has to keep his job in Columbia and we want out of the apartment asap, so I don't think that NC is going to do it for us.........As far as buying a big track and selling it off.........we are thinking about it but we where trying to keep as small of a mortgage as possible, I guess I need to talk to Dh about it somemore......GGRRRRRRRR I appriate the imput though, I am goign to keep looking, something will open up I am sure.:)

9. slimecoat

slimecoat Member

Let me tell you a little secret here.... the state of Florida is currently being absolutely ruined. Everything is slammed packed with shopping malls, Wal-Mart’s and golf courses. BUY LAND NOW! or at least soon. When the state fills up where do you think the overflow will go? -Experts are speculating the coastline of South Carolina.

10. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

In 1996, we bought our land for just under $1500 acre. In 2000, we bought the 3 acres next to us for $5300 acre. The 1.5 acres just across the road from us just sold for $20,000. We could not afford to buy what we have now. We have 3 buyers that have approached us on the 3 acres we have and want to buy-----just name our price. We are holding on to it for family right now and have no intention of selling at the present-----but seems to be a good investment for us and we would carry the note for the income if we sold it.

They aren't making more land. Buy what you can NOW regardless of the price as long as you can afford it. Buying extra would not be a bad investment. I like the idea of buying the larger piece at $2500 acre and then surveying off smaller parcels that you can sell for more money. Gets your place paid off in a hurry.

11. oz in SC

Why not stay in the apartment(or find another place if it is unsuitable) and buy land to visit on weekends?

That is what we will be doing for the next few years.

We are honest enough with oursleves that leaving here(SC) jobwise would be a mistake.

Wife is making good money and her employers have even stated that IF it can be worked out she could 'commute' from NC a few days a week...

What about further down towards Orangeburg?

How about drawing a circle on the map and going visiting?We did this in a way-our criteria was a tank of gas is the distance we wanted to be from family in SC.

Land anywhere near Cola is going to be bought for development in my opinion and is priced accordingly.

Slimecoat,coastal SC is ALREADY being turned into Florida or at least we think so... :no:

Our county is the fastest growing in the state and one of the fastest growing in the USA...it is getting a little outrageous here.

We are attracting people with LOTS of money to this area(for some reason) and while it provides for us it certainly is changing the area...

Mrs oz worked on a house that was being built-over 14,000 square feet...two people...

As long as we can sell out and move I really don't care.. :)

12. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Quit your bellyaching and buy up here, $137.50 USD per acre, based on purchase of a Quarter Section, 160 acres.

You've seen this image of our new Barley field, right, from another post?

Don’t come up – more peace and solitude for us,

Alex

13. akmyilee

Ok, as my search is going on this morning I have found some stuff for around 3500$/acre but then it has all these restrictions......no farm animals at all,not even chickens!!!!!! It is allmobile homes too, not that I have a problem with mobile homes I am just wondering if people build houses anymore.

Oz, the reason that I don't want to stay in the apartment is that it makes me sick to give these scoduraly people 500$ a month of my money that could be going toward our debt or our house........it really eats me up writing that check!

If we stay here until we have the debt payed off and money to build it will be another 5 years, do you know how much I would have given to the aparmtnet people by then? 30000$!!!!!! that just drives me nuts..........there is no way that dh could quit his job until we have done that and we can move away from columbia until he can quit his job.......????? I just don't know?

14. akmyilee

Nice thought, but it is too cold......... :)

15. oz in SC

Hmmm, I feel the same way here and we OWN this house..it is eating up $$$ we could be spending on developing our land.

You will think this odd but we are going to sell this house and rent in town as it will be cheaper than owning when all things are taken into account.

I know nothing about the rental market in Cola but it is most likely awful...$500/month sounds pretty good to us at this point-we will most likely pay about $800/month down here.I would think it difficult to find it much cheaper that isn't a slum up there...What about buying a small house somewhere for less than that in monthly mortgage payments?

Even though it seems like money thrown away IF you can swing a land payment at the same time you will be able to live AND own the future homestead...

I know everyone says to not go into debt but for most of us that seems like an impossibility..

We will go into MORE debt to build a 'weekend' place on the land...

We will owe MORE money to finish this house off and sell it...

It is to me part of the modern world...as long as it doesn't become overwhelming it is part of life.

As to restrictions-make sure you can live with ALL of them.

Ours are few and while it would be noce for there to be NONE we can live with them.

Good luck.

16. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

akmyilee

Good, stay there, and stay too hot, and pay lots. Only kidding.

Some people need certain temperatures to be comfortable -- enjoy. Is forty-below too cold, and only 80F above in the summer too cold, well sometimes it gets hotter? Yesterday it was 78F, and now it's down to 61.7F and overcast.

Enjoy your place, sounds like you do. Though we love ours too, especially the cold -- is that too weird? Love the wood stove and all that, snowshoes, and blowing storms -- while inside -- not traveling.

Alex

17. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Get rid of this mental stumbling block NOW!
    "His" job is only as good as the employer he works for. He could be downsized or his job eliminated literally at any time.
    Ask yourself (and him) what would happen in that case ...

18. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

check out what acreage.com has for sale in your state and or county. We found an area that was affordable and looked around for a real estate agent. We bought 46 acres for $42K in Ky. Beautiful and secluded yet has county water and electric, DSL and cable. A slice of heaven and I hope you find something like that!

Keep looking and it will turn up! :p

19. miller1911

miller1911 Active Member

Have you tried tax lot sales through the county sometimes you can fine real bargins that way.

20. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Buy the biggest property you can afford and when you are surrounded by jerks...and you will be sooner than you think....sell and move to even bigger place!!!! That's what we did with our MI tax burden. Not making more land --BC looks good to me!!! DEE