Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 month old Boer buck I bought to put some meat on babies. He is really just not interested in the girls. I put him in with them on their last heat and he snuggled up to one of them a bit but then went and ate and wasn't interested in them at all. I am hoping he will be ready this month otherwise I have to whiz the doe's over to the breeders and pay $200 (what I just paid for the buck)! Frustrating

·
Registered
63 Posts
my boer buck is 8 months old and he is just now starting to show any interest in the girls. he's also just started spraying himself. yours should come around soon. i don't plan to breed him until this spring. though he may be ready before then, i'd rather wait for him to mature and grow a bit more as with the does.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The doe's should be coming back into heat in a week or two (gotta check the calender). My doe's are dairy's so they are seasonal breeders. I don't have much longer to get them bred. Do most of them cycle in January as well? I guess I may just have to get them bred to another buck this year.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Don't be too sure you do not have bred does already!

I know a story about an old foundation FB Boer buck called 'The Doe Maker'- he was 8 yr. old and in tough shape when some folks bought him at auction. He went home and went directly into their doe pen, and went about his business, not appearing to have any interest whatsoever in those does, BUT 5 months later like clockwork out popped babies......

Just becasue you did not see it does not mean it did not happen......

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was worried about the same thing with my buck... it looks like he's only ever bred 2 of my does... tried 2 others but it looks like they never took. boo. Is he with the does full time? The only time he ever took an interest was when I locked him up with my mini horse for a month and reintroduced him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts