8,000 lbs of dodo and I'm wooped

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by buck_1one, Mar 30, 2006.

1. buck_1one

buck_1one Well-Known Member

I'm starting a new garden this year, much larger then I've had in the past. The soil is not the best so I brought in two trailer loads of manure. Unfortunately I don't have a tracter :Bawling: so I used what I have, a shovel. Yes I hand shoveled almost 8,000 lbs of manure on the garden AND tilled. Needless to say I am a wooped pup!

Spring fever at its best. :hobbyhors It was just so nice outside today, sunny and in the 70's I couldn't think of a better way to spend the day. :dance: Every muscle in my upper body may be on its death bed but.....I was just so glad to be outside doing something other then freezing.

Just found out my upper body isn't the only thing tired, just tried to get up for a cup of coffee, the legs a tired too. Think I'll go to bed and die. lol

Hope everyone is having a great spring!!
    Buck

2. Salmonberry

Salmonberry Registered Nut

I'm very jealous! I only have 1000 lbs accumulated. Not only that, but I am a month or two away from being able to use it.

Really though, that was a huge task. :hobbyhors Congratulations!

Make sure you rehydrate to get rid of all of that broken down muscle tissue.

HAPPY SPRING!! :sing: :sing: :sing:

Salmonberry

3. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

That's a LOT of dodo ...... I bet you really ARE tired! ha ha ha ha

Enjoy your supper ......

4. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

you mean doo doo...
    I read the title i thought "dodo birds?" wha?

lol

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    How that old song go?; I load 16 tons and what do I get, another day older and deeper in debt...

6. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

take a long shower! ;)

7. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

OMG, I can't imagine doing that much shoveling all at once. I hope you're able to get out of bed in the morning.

8. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

may the fruits of your labour taste all the more sweeter! :buds:

9. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

"St. Peter don't you call me cause I can't go...
    I owe my soul to the company store...deedumdeedumdumdedumdee..."

That was on one side of a 45 single of my older sisters' collection. I used to take it down into our finished basement and listen to it endlessly. For some reason it fascinated me. On the other side was:

"Walk right in, set right down, Daddy let your hair hang down...
    Everybody's talking 'bout the new way of walking, doodawoppadoodawoppadoo!"

Thanks for the (long) trip down memory lane...

10. buck_1one

Sorry about the spelling. I wanted to use a nice word for "it". I looked and looked and could not find the proper spelling for doo doo. Not very often I have to spell out such a word. Thanks for the correction.

Buck

11. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

Shoveling that much"doo doo" should qualify you as a politician!!!

12. buck_1one

You should have seen some of the looks I got from people going down the road. They would slow down and look at me like I was totaly nuts. One old man, maybe in his 80's, almost came to a stop and watched me for about 15 or 20 seconds and then went on up the road. I'd love to know what he was thinking. I'm sure they don't see too many "young" men outside busting butt these days.

Yes I'm able to move this morning. My lower back is a little sore and to my surprise the inside of my legs are sore.

The soil has a nice dark color to it now, before it was a very light pale tan color. I broke the ground the other day and it just turned to dust. By the time I tilled a couple of rows it was dry and dusty. After I tilled in the manure it stayed dark and didn't dry out and turn to dust. My safe plant date is May 15 so that will give the manure a month and a half to "cool" before I plant. I'll till it several more times before then, to keep working the manure into the ground so it rots down faster, just like truning a compost pile.

Buck

13. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

What brand is your doo-doo? Husband used horse manure once and it burned everything so bad we had to let garden ground set til next year. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing! Mother-in-law had same experience with pig manure and roses one year; and it had been composted with grass clippings and straw. county agent said it had to be too rich. Just a passing thought, don't mean to bring you down concerning your Herculean efforts. Building a pation on my own; hubby said he'll do the "top" part if I dig, lay plastic, level sand, tamp down and "apply" l2" patio pavers. I think I screwed up on this deal. Great and good luck on your garden-to-be!

14. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

Same here.

15. Bret

Bret Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, but only if he starts to believe his own doo doo.:)

Buck, that's quite an achievement. If you spread the doo doo and the pile is now extinct, you can call it doe doe.

I have been building a compost pile of calf bedding and manure since October.
    I have made it into a pyrmid that is 10 x 10 feet at the base and six feet tall. It looks like a small volcano now that it is steaming good. I have wondered how much it weighs.

Bret

16. buck_1one

I tried to correct the title but I can't fix it, either I don't know how or it can't be changed :stars: . I really did try to find the correct spelling but came up empty :bash: . Oh well!! Just look at it this was I just found a bunch of extinct birds and put them on the garden to compost down. HAHA

Buck

17. buck_1one

My brand is cow, horse, sheep, and, goat mixed with a little hay. I get it from the local stock yard. It's not too fresh it was not steaming when I got it and I figure the month and a half it has before planting will "cool" it some more. Only time will tell. I still have my old bed I'm planting as well so even if it is too rich this year, things will not be a total loss. I'm just hoping for more to put away for the winter.

Buck

18. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Here's a simple trick for unloading manure. Before loading put a pallet in the truck/trailer with a chain or rope attached. Load on top of it and when you want to unload just hook the chain/rope to a staitionary object and drive away. The load will fall from the bed and spread as you drive. I used an old metal frame the width of the bed with a pallet attached upright at the frt. I pull it out with another truck or a tractor and it leaves a couple of shovelfuls in the bed and you're ready for another load. I've hauled many loads in 1 day like this.

19. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks BMan! I was thinking of getting one of those goofy roller unloadrs for my next pickup but that trick will save me some do(ugh)

20. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Ahhh yes the sure sign of spring in areas that dont have naturally rich soil. Back in our little corner of NE Connecticut, we knew it was spring when Pepere would arrange with Mr Israelite to bring us a load of chicken manure and spread it on the garden. Luckily we had a neighbor with a little tractor and plow and he would come and plow and harrow it in for us. Smelly stuff, but it sure did help the veggies. Sure hope u can move today Buck. :p