79 yr old killed in tractor accident, please READ!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BamaSuzy, Aug 16, 2004.

1. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I just got off the phone with the wife of a 79 year old man who was killed Saturday afternoon when he got off his tractor, then it ran over him, partially amputating both his legs!

I had to write that up for the newspaper after hearing it while it was all going on on Saturday afternoon.

This accident comes right on the heels of our biggest town's fire chief's accident where his leg was broken because he was trying to hook up his bushhog and was standing where he shouldn't be standing AND another nearby fire chief who got a severe head injury from a similar piece of farm equipment...

Please please please everybody be careful when operating your farm tractors! These accidents are devastating to the family members who find you out there in pieces....and the rescue squads who have to come and pick up those pieces....

Let's all remember that no matter how long we've been driving our tractors and how much we think we know, it only takes one second of inattention and tragedy can strike!

Also, remember lawn mower safety as well. DO NOT EVER mow the law with your child or grandchild riding with you....I wrote about a beautiful little four or five year old girl once who lost her legs to her families' riding lawn mower....
    My own husband lost part of his foot to a push mower....Everybody please BE CAREFUL, BE ATTENTIVE and STAY SAFE!!!!

2. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Amen, I can't count how many times I have seen someone (like my husband) do things that chill my blood, and they will not listen!!!!

I stand by to call for help....

3. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting a reminder of how dangerous farm equipment can be. Rollovers and accidents with mowers, brush hogs, haybalers, etc., are quite common and can be avoided if proper precautions are taken.

4. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for posting the reminder. My dh John gets livid when he sees people riding their lawnmowers with little kids on them. I guess that people just don't think. They even have them on America's Funniest Videos. Nobody in my house laughs at those clips. Even our kids comment about how stupid it is. We also have a rule around here. No body mows if there is not someone home, even John. And this year we allowed Johnnie (12) and Devon (13) to learn how to mow, but their rule is that they are not allowed to mow unless someome is standing there watching them. Call me over-protective or what ever, but that is our rule. I just wish more people did it.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

Yep, I will always remember the early morning visit from one neighbor asking me to check on another neighbor. She had gone up their road for something and found his tractor overturned in the road. She was afraid to go look under it and came to me for help.

When I got there, there was Bob, all squashed, having been there all night.

I sent my wife to call the authorities while I walked up to the house to check on his wife. She knew there was something really wrong and had been sitting in a kitchen chair since the day before waiting for her husband to come home. For some reason she wouldn't go look, nor did she pick up the phone to call anyone.

Not that anything could have helped. Bob had tried to pull a tree up hill. Sometimes you have to wonder if it isn't just a form of suicide, because he certainly knew better.

6. Momo

Momo Well-Known Member

A man near here was run over by his Dad in an 18 wheeler yesterday. The 39 year old man was putting his Dad's new license plate on the front of the truck..the Dad didn't know it and took off. His poor son was dragged for half a mile until someone going the other way saw the poor man under the truck. It was too late though, the son was dead. Equipment is always dangerous! Please be careful.

7. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

My brother was pulling a log with a chain while on a tractor. The chain snapped and hit him in the head. It knocked him off, unconcious and the tractor barely missed him. Yep, that was pretty scary. It's so easy to forget to be careful when we're used to using a certain piece of machinery.

8. MEGA-BUMP!!!!!!!!!

Lets be careful out there.

mc

9. charles

charles Well-Known Member

I've rarely seen a non-tragic death, especially in old age where the system failures of the body are ghastly and also really stressfull on the families. If I had my pick, I'd rather die in a dumb tractor accident than in a socially acceptable hospital death or shuffling around in small steps, soiling myself, and not knowing who I was in a "care" facility. Trauma used to be a much, much greater contributor to death than it is today. There are trade-offs here.

10. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Charles said<<" If I had my pick, I'd rather die in a dumb tractor accident than in a socially acceptable hospital death or shuffling around in small steps, soiling myself, and not knowing who I was in a "care" facility.">>

Hi Charles Y'all,

Yeah,Me too. My Dad passed over, about 6 weeks ago, after 3 years
    in a nursing home. He'd had a heat-stroke, and laid out in the sun, for
    about 3 hours. He had a "living will". But at the age of 86 yrs. they
    resuscitated him anyway.

He sat in a wheel chair, not knowing his sons, rarely able to talk coherently,
    soiling himself, for 3 years. He was "gone", from here, long before he passed
    over.
    I hope I never have to live that way.

I would much rather go out in a "Blaze of Glory". At 64, I've made my
    "Peace", with the Gods, and any, who might bear me ill.
    A tractor accident, a car crash, an aneurism, any of these will do.
    DW knows I don't want to be made to "Linger", like a turnip, as do my
    Ds's & DD's.
    I don't know what's on the other side. I don't fear it.
    Life is good. I've had plenty of love, enjoyment & plain old fun, more'n most.
    More would be great. But, I know I'll have to go.
    May the Gods bless me with a quick "Passing".

11. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

My uncle was always VERY careful with his farm equipment. He was adamant that those around him do things right too. But he was driving down the road from mowing the yard at the church, looked behind him to see if there were cars coming and slipped one wheel into a ditch. It rolled over on him and crushed him instantly. It doesn't even take a second.

12. Oldotaku

Oldotaku Member

It doesn't even take a tractor to end up killing you. My uncle was cutting down a tree in his timberlot on Thanksgiving with a chainsaw. The tree had a rotten core he didn't know about, and it "popped" the wrong way when he was making the notch and fell on him. He didn't die immediately, as he was just pinned under it. But it must have scared him badly, and he had a heart attack under the tree. His wife called the sheriff around dusk, when he didn't show up for Thanksgiving dinner, and the sheriff and neighbors pulled his body out from under the tree and figured out how he died.

There is a reason that farming is one of the most dangerous professions out there.