79 caprice

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by brandonhobbs, Feb 22, 2005.

1. brandonhobbs

brandonhobbs New Member

yes i was wondering why when i stop at lights my generator light comes up and if i dont hit the gas quickly the car will cut off and i have to cut it back on. but if i put it in neutral it will run better than it will in park. the spark plugs already have been changed so does anyone think my timing could just be off?

2. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

Timing could be off, carb could be out of adjustment or dirty, may be idling too low, cap and points may be bad, may even be a bad alternator. If the vehicle is in drive, and you're stopped with your foot on the brake, it should still idle smoothly.

If that is a 350 or 305 original motor, those years had very soft cams and the lobes would round very quickly. If the cam is shot, you'll never it get it to run properly until you replace it.

cheers,

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Sounds as if you have a vacuum leak.

4. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Try spray cleaning the carb and then adjusting the idle setpoint, might have to kick it up a bit. Pulling the PCV hose and spraying cleaner in there too. Also all the hoses going to the carb. Use the full can and maybe another.

Could be the real fix is jack the car way up and drive another underneath. ;)

With old cars and lots of miles, probably no easy quick fixes. Might also be a sign the fuel pump is getting a bit worn. New fuel filter and spray cleaning the carb super good is the first place to start on most old cars that have had little TLC to try to nurse a few more creeky miles.

Amazing what a good carb cleanout does. I also do it on my fuel injected vehicles. Find some hoses to inject or spray after the air cleaner. My Colt was idling rough, spray cleaned it, runs like a top.

A good practice to do right before you change the oil. Any junk washed into the oil does down the drain. :D