78' Ford dies on the way home

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by moopups, Sep 17, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Acted like a vapor lock, let it cool for about 20, started right up and ran about 60 seconds before it had to be twisted into a parking lot. Another 20 minutes, another 1000 feet. Older 302 with points, condenser, ect is the power plant, thinking fuel filters first, fuel pump second, coil failure next, condsensor next; agree - dis agree?

2. mink

mink Well-Known Member

i vote on the coil breaking down..mink

3. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

I vote Condenser , Coil , then fuil pump

4. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I had a '60 Chev half ton 235-I6 that would do this. Always the coil. Thing would just eat coils for some reason. Know as I replaced everything else the first time. Learned to carry an extra coil along.

Have also experienced this with a '47 CJ2A. Crack in distributor cap. Start cold, run a little bit, then die. Let it cool down and it would start again. Replaced cap and never had problem again.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Sounds to me as if the vent on the gas tank is clogged. The next time is stops open the gas cap slowly and listen to hear if there is a suction sound. Could also have a radiator cap on the gas tank instead of a gas cap, stranger things have happened!

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

All better now, it was the screw in filter that mounts into the carb.

7. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten about those little devils. Ford had that tiny screw in filter and GM had the little mesh filter that fit into housing that screwed into carb. Used alone both are evil and a really stupid idea (too small for amount of fuel that goes thru them), but if you splice in a nice big inline filter (I like the see thru ones) ahead of it in the fuelline, then the little ones rarely ever cause a problem and sometimes keep some water out of carb that might get through the big filter. I'd rather keep the little filter as a secondary filter than have to open up a carb to get water out of the fuel bowl. Either way pays to keep spare fuel filter in glove box and make sure your gas tank has a useable drain plug on bottom. Few tanks do anymore. I dont use my Ford 3/4 ton very often so last time I had tank off, I screwed/epoxied a half inch pipe flange to lowest spot on tank and put a plug in it with antiseize on the threads. Learned value of this with old '72 Courier I used to have. It came from factory with drain plug. I got some watered gas at town once and wasnt going to get home until I saw plug, opened it to drain water, replaced plug and blew out the filter. Never had another problem though I put on new filter at first opportunity..

8. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

shoot the other problem it could have been is rust in the fuel tank covering the suction port.... about the same length of time to get fuel going again... but those little filters get overlooked by lots of folks in routie maintainance

william

9. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

OK I'm an idiot, but where is the fuel filter on the 78 ford? Also is it easier to replace the ignition or have a key made if the keys are long gone??

10. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

The filter is located on the right front of the carb, its the last piece in the fuel line before the fuel enter the carb. Its a multi sized cylinder shape about the same diameter as a $.05 coin, with a barb nozzel that fits into the rubber fuel line, it unscrews for replacement.

The ignition switch's key is inserted into the slot, a tiny piece of wire or similar is inserted into the tiny hole at the 10 oclock position next to the slot, turn the assembly to the left until horizonal, the key core will then pull out. A collection of old Ford keys will eventually find one to fit, they were not very complex in that era. About one of every 15 or so will work.