'76 F250 4x4 help

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Rowdy, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Hey, got a question...

My brother is just about giving me a 1976 f250 4x4 that belong to our grandfather, used in his well company in AZ.

He says that there is something wrong with the power steering, specifically the control valve. He also says that it is some odd ball thing that ford only did on these "hi-boy" f250s, and the parts are extremely hard to find/expensive. It is drivable if you are strong, and it turns a little easier in one direction (can't remember which.) From what I understand the power steering pump runs to this control valve and then what looks like hydraulic lines come out from there. I've not seen the truck yet, so this description is based on a 1:30 in the morning conversation.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas about this? Is it some rare thing, or is my brother just on crack? How much to fix, etc?

Thanks,

Rowdy

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............The power steering on ford 4x4's wasn't changed until mid model year 1977 . They changed over to a conventional ps box\pitman arm and completely dumped that infernal system that you are using on that 76 truck . I did the complete PS conversion on my 77 f250 , 4x4 hiboy in Aug. of last year . There are atleast (2) very good kits available with ALL parts necessary to make the conversion as fast and painless as possible . They , ARE NOT cheap , as both will run around 800 or so but IF you want to keep the truck and use it the kit(s) are money well spent . Call this place...Ibeling Repair service , 1101 Ellis St. , Applington , Iowa-50604 . (319)347-2491 . The Other kit is most always listed on Ebay , you'll just have to search abit to find it . BOTH are very well thought out kits . I've been rehabing my 77 for 3 years now and still have a few things to go . The biggest draw back to these old Ford trucks is that they get...Whorendous :eek: Fuel Milage . You get the Point ! . I absolutely love mine cause it keeps me\you busier than a New bride :worship: and you never know what will break next .fordy.. :eek: :)

3. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Thanks... Yeah, $800 is a bit more than I want to pay at the moment. I'm just going to be using it around the property right now anyway, so no big rush...

Thanks!

4. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

A person can disconnect the power steering pump [take off the belt] and replace the hydraulic cylander with a stabilizer shock found in the none power steering models, the only place they are hard to steer is when trying to manuever in a tight spot without movement.... got one of each here, although my 76 f 250 has no powersteering at the moment, i believe i am goona put one back on.....

As for bad mileage? it came with a 300 - 6 that got about 8 or 9 mpg, blew that motor up and found a bored out 300 which the dyno sez is about 400 HP give or take..... it gets somwhere around 15 mpg and has more power than most other engines....

bored 50 thousandths over, and 390 pistons are added as well as a different cam... if you wanna push 500 HP you have to add a different manifold and put a 4 barrrel carb onto the monkey..... mileage and power as is are good enough to warrant spending the dollars to have this done to a tired engine, or even replacement as i had to do once...... costs bit more to add split headers 3x3, but the looks that folks give you is worth the dollars to modify the 2 wheel drive headers over paying triple for the 4x4 headers.....

FORD = First On Race Day

William