70?????!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by michelleIL, Nov 26, 2004.

1. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

I'm completely flabberghasted!!!
    I just read that Sandi is 70 yrs old! This is wonderful! I'm only 27, and I figured I was in a group of people maybe in their thirties, forties and fifties, maybe sixties here and there....but someone on this board is 70!!!
    Sorry, but that just shocked the daylights out of me! I think that's wonderful.
    Michelle

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    There are people here who have first hand memories of the depression also, not too strange of a situtation.

3. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

But it's the internet....they're not supposed to want to screw around with all this new-fangled crap! LOLL

4. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

Who do you think started the computer industry? Many of the younger generation weren't even conceived when the older generations were breadboarding and cobbling computer hardware together from bits and pieces. :haha:

I can still remember wirewrapping my first crude computer in the early 70's. What a wiring nightmare. :no:

I learned a lot about native machine language from those younger days. Then along came the personal computers, modems, BBS's, the internet. Isn't life just grand?

At least in my youth we had transistors and low density ICs. I can only imagine what it was like for the generation before me that had to build room sized computers with vacuum tubes.

Computers have come a long ways, and so have the generations that have grown up with them.

Bob

5. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

My cousin has just received a new computer and is going to classes to learn all the ins and outs about using it. She loves the computer and she is 72 years young.

My good friend in MO is 80 years young and loves his computer. He is a guitar player and records music on his and also internets a lot. Of course he is still an active cattle rancher also. He also went to classes to learn how to use his good

6. kate

kate Well-Known Member

this is kate here, soon to be 71 in january and somedays feel like 31 and wish i had all my cattle back............................so you thought this was all 30 year old ones, heh, lol..............no we're here and hanging on...............tightly! :)

7. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I have been reading a lot about Helen and Scott Nearing and how they lived on their homestead until they were really really old, always doing their own chores, and building homes and buildings just about til they died. While I don't agree with all their ideas and world views, I do admire them for the lifestyle they led. I think he died just after being 100 maybe 103 and she was in her 90's....If they were still alive today I can just SEE them on web sites such as this sharing their knowledge!

They had a regular column in the old TMEN and wrote several books.

8. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I'm 56 & I started with computers in 1967....Fortran...time share & punch-cards... no video or audio... just numbers!I didn't get into PCs or the internet untill about 4yrs ago.

9. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

My 54 year old husband built his first computer in 1970. Before that he was building radios and before that vacuum tube television sets. His dad had a sautering iron in his hand when he was 7 years old, and there you have a life-long obsession.

I'm 34 and he dragged me onto the internet 3 years ago (kicking and screaming).

10. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

ok...this whole place is backward....the older ones love the web, and the ones in their thirties who should know better avoid it like the plague! Y'all are nuts! LOL
    :DD