7 way vacc.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by shelljo, Aug 30, 2005.

1. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

Our vet recommended using 7 way to vaccinate our goats. Well, they now have knots where we vaccinated them--big knots. Just noticed last night that two of my girls have rubbed or picked the hair off these knots.

Should I be worried? Do anything? I don't think I'll use 7 way again, so what do you all use?

2. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

I had the same problem with Covexin 8. Just went to the Bar Vac CDT and havn't had any problems since.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

One of my goats lumps up every time I vaccinate. It goes away after a couple of weeks. I use the CD/T.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Vaccination is such a regional thing. I use the plain CD&T and I also give it IM to hide the granuloma it forms. The first initial 'lump' it produces is actually showing you the goats immunity to the vaccines you gave. If you get no lump at all I would probably give another in 21 days, lumps are a good thing. Now lumps that spread or abscess is caused by technique. And how many clean the area with alcohol? You should. I can use one needle for 4 or 5 kids with no abscess, but don't clean with alcohol before giving the shots and one will abscess even with a clean needle. The contianers that hold alcohol that they use at the dr's offices to pump alcohol up into your cotton swab are only $3 at medical supply houses.

If I went to my vet (she has vetted my herd for 17 years and other large dairy herds before mine) and she told me that I should move to Covexin 8 or a 7 way because of a particular clostridium problem that others are having in my area, I would move to it, like the pnemonia vaccine she was talking with me about just last week with soo much pnemonia in the area. But to move with a vet who knows nothing about goats, or is treating your goats like cattle, no I would use the CD&T. But get your information from goat folks who live in your area, mimic what they do, until you can figure this all out for yourself. Vicki

5. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

Vicki
    Thanks for the info. Since ther aren't any goat people around here, I'm pretty much on my own. Now, there are a few folks who have goats, but they are very much a novelty. Two kids had goats at the 4-H show and fair this year. This year was the first year they were sold as a market animal. That's an example of how rare we are!

No, I didn't swab with alcohol first. Will make that a new habit. What was really bothering me is the hair loss on the knots. Not sure if the girls are chewing on these or if the hair is just falling off. It's only doing this on two of them, not all of them.

I gave a sub-cue shot. But, the vet said she'd come out this year and help--or teach me. (She's a family friend.)

6. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

what are the 7 way or 8 way shots? for goats? what is it called and where do i get it at? i want to vaccinate against everything i can; i have pet goats

7. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

I have 20 pygmys and about 5 of them got a knot and the hair came off and it abcessed it took about 8 weeks to go away a friend told me to try blue lotion like a lot of people use for horse cuts and scratches and it made a big difference of course that is only nesscesary if it abcesses and leaves an open wound.