Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was holding this pup for a friend but life happens. :shrug:
This young dog has become available due to changing circumstances in the buyers life and in her goat herd.
He is neutered, had all shots, UTD on worming, born in February. Has lived with his working parents and/or goats his entire life. Is accustomed to children. Is not hard to contain, staying easily in cattle panels, woven wire or electric fence. Asking $175.

Here he is with his mother, Jill.

And his sire, Boris.

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
Having recently seen this dog in the flesh, I can attest that he is a fine animal.
My question is this: If a livestock owner were to purchase this dog, would the dog be content and functioning if he were the Only Great Pyr on the farm or Homestead? Or do they require the company of another LGD?

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Up North,
Pyrs do well by themselves as long as they have goats to bond with and protect. It may take him a little bit to adjust to not having other pyrs and that is the time that you want to be good to him, a few pats and words, but do not over socialize with him during that time because he needs to bond with the goats rather than with you.
Though Pyrs do very well alone with goats, they *work* much better as a pair. A male/female neutered/spayed pair is the best working combo as a general rule. And a pair also gives young dogs something to play and roll with when those puppy urges come over them. So I do reccomend a pair rather than a single for serious protection.
And this guy is just a seven month old pup. As such, he should not be put with young goats or kids until he is mature. Never had a problem with him even when the does were kidding out in his barn.....but he has been under the supervision of his parents all this time. He is just a pup and should be treated accordingly.
Thanks Up North for the vote of confedence. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.