Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oooh boy. we've been keeping all our 7 and 8 month old piglets together since we had read they wont go into heat til around then anyway and its cold out we wanted to keep them together for warmth. i know we had actually pushed it a little long and meant to separate a few weeks ago but just hadnt got around to it. anyway went out this morning and our nice little gilt we were going to keep for breeding definitely looks pregnant. her mother didnt show until oh i dontknow a month or month and a half before she farrowed. is it possible she got pregnant at 5 months?? or is she just showing early because she's still small. shes about 80-90 lbs. she is a very hearty little girl, biggest piglet of the litter and good confirmation. will this ruin her as a breeding sow in the future? are the piglets all guaranteed to die since she's so young? there are 2 young boars in with her, one is unrelated and 8 months old and the other is 7 months and is her brother. really really hoping the sire is the older boar!! but i guess maybe none will survive anyway. has this happened to any of you before?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Usually pigs around 6 months can’t breed it best to breed her at 9 months but, I think you shouldn’t worry just keep a close eye on her and see if you notice any changes in her or of her behavior :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually pigs around 6 months can’t breed it best to breed her at 9 months but, I think you shouldn’t worry just keep a close eye on her and see if you notice any changes in her or of her behavior :)
yeah i didnt think either the boar or the gilts wouldve been ready eiher im pretty surprised. but i am almost positive she is in fact pregnant her little tummy is huge and sticks out. ill have to keep a close eye on her and maye bring her into the basement to have them or something its cold up here! i dearly hope the father is the older boar or i imagine theyll be stillborn anyway since the other one is her brother.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they already have a coi of 30 because we bought her bred and the owners had bred her to her father.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeah i didnt think either the boar or the gilts wouldve been ready eiher im pretty surprised. but i am almost positive she is in fact pregnant her little tummy is huge and sticks out. ill have to keep a close eye on her and maye bring her into the basement to have them or something its cold up here! i dearly hope the father is the older boar or i imagine theyll be stillborn anyway since the other one is her brother.

yeah i agree having to see if your pig is pregnant is pretty hard so just keep a close eye on her and I can’t really say anything apart from that, if she is do you somewhat have a idea how far is she in the pregnancy?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well she is very clearly showing and her mama didnt show like that til maybe a month out or something. i have read now that kunes can have their first 5 1/2 months so i guess i think i will use that as a starting point. she is now 7 1/2 months, so maybe a 1 month and 3 weeks left or something? ayayay poor thing.

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,871 Posts
If she is pregnant then you will have live piglets born regardless of who the daddy is. If you have birthing complications due to her age/size that’s irrelevant to paternity. But I would guess if she is pregnant she will deliver fine. Most do. Just keep her well fed and active. Don’t let her get lazy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh boy I think she is fat already. I was less sure she was pregnant when I went to see her later and show my husband. I still suspect she is tho her tummy is bigger than everyone else's. Here's a picture of her if anyone knows about kunekune body condition

It's not a very good one but I can take more tomorrow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts