Homesteading Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts
I miss the avatars we used to have! I think I found this forum during the switch from the first board... More folks means a better chance someone has the answers to my questions!

bgak47: I guess you had to be there. Trolls aren't people who just disagree, they are just plain s--t disturbers. They get their kicks to just come on and insult everyone and generally cause a big stink. It's not pleasant. As for the part about new members not being welcomed, well, think about it, with a couple dozen new members every two days, it would take a lot of space if everyone made "welcome" posts. As for your question if this is a closed club, you are just being silly. It's just a huge community, like a village grown to to city, you just lose some of the intimacy. The old forum was just like a little village. Big is not bad here, just more people to help you! By the way, Welcome bgak47!!!

Yes, I was on the old site. I think it was in 2000, I had just gotten a new computer that could handle the net and the very first website I looked up was for Countryside magazine. I saw a forum listed on their site and was thoroughly fascinated. The first person(or close to it) that answered my first post was Sonda in KS., and she is a good friend to this day. Also Jan in CO was such a sweety that she sent me items for a western party that I had. This is great entertainment and I have learned much from reading here. I have come to really appreciate some fine folks that come here. Yes, I remember trolls, they caused some problems and the down time was annoying. Marilyn, the farmer's wife......

Ding...I kinda miss those days...the forum was a lot simpler, a more 'homey' feeling than now-maybe it was just the people who posted, and the posts they were sending...or, maybe I'm just getting older, and more set in my ways... ;)

I was there too...just a lurker. I think that was how I found out about Countryside Mag. I am not even sure how I found Lusenet. It was just about to shut down at the time.

I love this place. I am one of those that doesn't post very often. I am not very good at expressing by typing...I like face to face conversation. But WOW the info and experience here is remarkable! 8,000 people...inpressive. Keep up the great work.

DeAnn

I still think it's funny that Countryside had to decide to shut down the forum for good because people were getting mad at each other here and cancelling their magazine subscriptions. Anyone remember this thread?

Anyway, as best I can remember, the earliest post we have archived is from June 1999. That would make us just over 5 years old. Wow. Time flies when you are having fun.

Been here since the whole thing started on countryside web. The post about some of the people who used to be on it has my mind stuck now, trying to remember the women who used to post who was a volunteer paramedic whos neighbor raised birds[ parrots?] . She was very wise and knowlgable, cant remember what she called her self.

Chuck, I think GT still posts on the old lucenet site at Little Bit's site occasionally. I don't go to that board very often since my site got hacked and we moved to the EZboard. I hear from Little Bit every now and than and one of the women on my forum met her at a Oklahoma homesteaders gathering. This board is still pretty slow for us dial up people and since some of them are off-grid and on batteries for their computers, time is really important.

I was on Lucenet way back when, then lost track of it and discovered this site when I began to have a bit more time to participate in forums again. I miss some of the long discussions that took place then, things just don't seem the same, although that may be for the better.

Jim

Yep I was even pre-Chuck :) It was an excellent board early Countrysidemag.com 99 to 02, then it went through a horrible troll period, when it started filtering into the other parts of the forum, we jumped ship, taking the dairy goat forum to another board. It seems that it's back to it's roots in homesteading where it should be. I have been answering a few goat questions, guess I need to visit other parts of the board. Vicki

41 - 60 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.