7/8 Boer

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cmharris6002, Sep 14, 2006.

1. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

When I recently bought back two babies that I sold this spring, the guy brought a little 7/8 boer doling that he said couldn't be left alone (without the other two). Yea, he played me like a fiddle :rolleyes: so I ended up paying $50 for her.

Now my question is, I have a Nubian buck, If I breed him to her what percentage would the offspring be? I could try to find a boer buck to take her to, what would be the percentage for those babies. Is it worth it to try to find a Boer buck? Does percentage matter? Should I try to get her registered? I also have a pygmy buck I could use if the babies were just for meat...

~Christy

2. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

If my math is right, you would consider the 7/8 diluted in half, which would make them 7/16? As to whether its worth registering her, finding a boer, etc, it would depend entirely on your local market, boer nubian crosses usually make attractive meat goats and fine for selling for butcher, so I wouldn't spend much money trying to upgrade, personally.

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

you can only register her if there is a paper trail in her family that you can tag onto, like if her father was registerd and her mother was registerd as 3/4ths
    if you bred her to a registerd Boer buck you would get kids that were technically 15/16ths? i think? but if she cant be registerd then you can only register the Doelings as 1/2 bloods,

if you breed her to a Nubian buck, and if he is registerd you can again register the doelings as 1/2bloods, it all depends on what you are wanting to do, you will still get some decent meaty kids probably with a Nubian Buck over a 7/8ths boer doe, they wont be HUGE Monsters but they will have some good meat on them
    plus if you keep the doelings and breed them back to Nubian you will be increasing Milk production, there are some good Boer mix does that are Good for milking,
    heck there are some good BOER does that are good for milking if you work with them.

sence getting her registerd and finding a good Boer buck looks to be more complicated than the end result would warrent (depending on her status) i would just go ahead and breed her to the Nubian and go Dairy with her and her daughters

4. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

1/8 fullblood=13%
    1/4 fullblood = 25%
    1/2 fullblood= 50%
    3/4 fullblood=75%
    7/8 fullblood=88%
    15/16 fullblood=94%
    31/32=97%

To figger it out, add the percentages together, and divide by two. For example, your 7/8 doe (if she is papered and her 1/8 is nubian), when bred to a full blood nubian, would produce (100% +13%) divided by 2 = 56% Nubian offspring or 88% boer offspring if bred to a fullblood boer buck.

Note the percentages are rounded to the nearest number more or less.

5. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Bred to a Nubian buck, the offspring would be 1/2 Nubian, 7/16 Boer and 1/16 whatever her other 1/8 is. The offspring would be un-registerable as far as I know. Boer is not allowed to be any part of an animal registered with ADGA..no meat breeds allowed, including Pygmy. The does would make for great commercial brood does, and the wethers wouldn't be too shabby. The Boer should show through and so they would be meaty. Our 1/4 Boer wethers do much better than our straight dairy wethers.

Bred to a Boer, the offspring would be 15/16s Boer and 1/16 whatever else she is. If the buck is registered they would only be papered as 50% Boer. Again, nice commercial brood doelings and decent market wethers depending on their build.

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Roseanna is right, the American Dairy Goat Assoc. does not allow goats with meat breeds in them to be graded up. So breeding the doe in question to a Nubian, then those daughters to a Nubian and so on will NOT eventually result in recorded American Nubians with the ADGA. The ADGA reserves the right to do DNA tests on goats if they choose.

If you breed the doe in question to a Fullblood registerd Boer buck, the resulting doelings could only be registered as 50% Boers as you presumably have no paper trail on the 7/8 doe . You, in essence, have to start all over.

I have Boers that could be registerd as 50% and 75% as i do have paper trails but i choose not to because the offspring are put in the freezer or sold to people for brood does who do not even want the papers. I can register them if I want to though.....but that would serve no purpose in most cases and would just waste money. It just depends on what you want to do with the goats.

7. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, I think I have something to go on now. Meat goats are super hot in my area. Registered stock is selling, to the right people , very high. However anything with a red head (looks boer) will sell well at auction. I think I will breed her to my Nubian and keep or sell the kids for meat. I really don't think I'll go through the trouble of having her bred to a reg. buck this year even though it is tempting dollar wise for the long run.

Thanks,
    Christy