Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Yeah, I looked at Chi's temp and it is freezing. Can you say good insulation and a good wood stove. Try to stay warm Echo.

Oh, and I will be that way Thanksgiving working on my property.

·
Reluctant Adult
8,956 Posts
Echoes... it would be weenie-ish of me to complain about my overnight 32F temps and our high today of around 45F. But that never stopped me before, so... geewillikers, it's cold!!!!!

Stay warm, East-of-the-Cascades ladies!!

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
It was cold here too Echoe!!! At 8am is was 10 and then warmed up to 15 around 9am. It never warmed up past 23 degrees though. That wind was ICY!!! Did you have the wind? Yes! Cindilu!!! LOTS of insulation, insulated windows and a wood stove!!!! Necessities!!!

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
6 degrees here now...and snowing fairly hard for the temp. 5" of new snow, but light fluffy stuff to go along with the temp. Record lows being set across the state for this time of year. This is Christmas/January tempatures!

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Monday morning awoke with promises of foul weather, but it stayed nice till around 2:30 PM. A big low brown cloud of dirt came in on the northern horizon...one of those times I shoulda taken a picture?

I had made plans of pouring concrete around pipe posts, and was just getting ready too, when I saw the cloud. Made a power run to the plaza for grub, and while I was there we had from nothing to fourty MPH winds.

Piled the fencelines full of weeds. If it blows, I'tll be tough to make it out of here unless a neighbor comes after me. I'll be good for a fair time, however. Plus...I've got some good neighbors! :) We're all in this together!

T

·
0 Posts
We dropped from the 80's Monday down to a high of about 50 today! Last night was 45 and tonight is supposed to be 35!

Oh. My. Gawsh! I don't have clothing for this... I am dressed like a Goodwill explosion! LOL! I haven't turned on the central heat, because it's going to be 70 again in a few days - but, MAN, IT IS CHILLY IN THE HOUSE!

·
Super Moderator
16,681 Posts
It is in the teens, which is OK, excepting it has been a warm Fall and we are used to the 60's! Brrrr!

U

·
0 Posts
I hope it stays cold & snows . I hate deer hunting in a T shirt , just doesn't seem right .

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
It was cold here too Echoe!!! At 8am is was 10 and then warmed up to 15 around 9am. It never warmed up past 23 degrees though. That wind was ICY!!! Did you have the wind? Yes! Cindilu!!! LOTS of insulation, insulated windows and a wood stove!!!! Necessities!!!
Sunflower, I am looking at this stove. A bit over done considering how many actual square foot my house will have but it is also my understanding that Chiloquin has 6 inches of snow on the ground as of this morning...

What do ya'll think?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/US-Stove-2-000-sq-ft-EPA-Certified-Wood-Burning-Stove-2000/202815104

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How big will your house be? If the stove is for a larger sq footage, will it burn as efficiently? I have no idea but you might inquire. Why I'm wondering is that most new stoves have baffles and it "might" buildup quicker. IMHO, I have no idea but it landed in my brain as a possibility. Nice looking stove though.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
My actual house will be 640 square feet but then I will have the daycare built on which will add another 400 square feet. So still small but also will need a lot of warm to go through into the daycare room. What does baffle and built up mean?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Baffle is to control emissions, or smoke output and getting the most out of the stove. Usually located at the top back of the stove before the chimney. Buildup is creosote.

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
I have a baffle but it doesn't build up anymore creosote than one without in my opinion and puts out more heat. I do have a damper in the stove pipe also and air comes from under the house (it's a Fisher for Mobile Home). I wouldn't get one that big for your small house. You can put a fan on the hearth next to the stove and blow the heat towards your day care room. You don't want it TOO hot in there as the kids will build up their own heat playing. :)

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Through northern tools they sell a heat ??? That fits in between two pieces of your stove pipe that collects the heat going up your chimney and blows it out. We have one on the office wood stove that pushes the heat clear to the end if the building. It plugs into electric outlet and when the air reaches a certain temp inside the pipe it comes on and starts blowing the air. Quite a nice feature actually. If I put on on my stove I would put it on a dimmer switch so you could regulate the speed (noise) of the fan.

W..northerntools dot com. You can go look at it. I believe it's near their wood stove supply section. Might be a good site for you to bookmark anyhoo.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts