Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes Thanksgiving dinner dessert for you?
My pecan pie, made with dark Karo, not light. Cannot be light. It just came out of the oven.

Were it going to be more than just us two, likely would have made pumpkin and mince meat pies also.

DH also would have liked some fruit pie, any kind. Some former inlaws would have wanted lemon meringue, and one kid would want razzle berry from walmart.

Corn bread dressing, not stuffing, heavy on the sage? Or are you pagans lol? DH is a Jersey boy and wants mashed potatoes instead.

Giblet gravy or regular turkey gravy? If giblet, southern runny gravy or more regular gravy with giblets in it?

Jellied or whole fruit cranberry sauce? Canned or homemade?

Do you candy the yams? Use little marshmallows on top?

Make the green bean casserole? Not this year. DH hates it and I don't need to eat a whole one, even over time lol.

Black or green olives, or both?

Of course none of this matters. If you are reasonably healthy, have a roof over your head, food on the table, and people you love (even if you are dining alone this year!) you have a lot be thankful for. I know I do!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Pumpkin and pecan pie. Dressing not stuffing with a handful of dried cranberries in it. No raisins. Yes sweet potatoes but no marshmallows. Yes mashed potatoes the real kind with lumps. Meh on the green bean casserole. Relish tray with both olives and some kind of cranberry sauce the only 2-3 of us eat. Some kind of cold salad ( broccoli, taffy apply, Greek, 7 layer). depends on who's making it.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Thanksgiving (and Christmas) dinners. I love turkey baked with bread stuffing. Gravy made from the drippings to pour over mashed potatoes. Green peas with mint, creamed turnips/carrots, maybe corn. I've never had the green bean casserole. No cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving. Crusty rolls with butter. Pumpkin and apple pies. Canadians celebrated Thanksgiving in October so I have to wait until Christmas for my next "fix".
Yes, I can make this meal any other time of the year, but it tastes best at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,623 Posts
Regular turkey in oven. Not stuffed. Probably a boxed stuffing.
Real potatoes mashed. Gravy. A veggie.
Just made a scratch mac/cheese in oven.
Also made a macaroni egg salad today.
Will probably make a 3 bean salad tomorrow. And a fruit jello.
Made pumpkin bread today using a cake mix.
Should be plenty to eat for tomorrow and leftovers :) I like simple and easy

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Some years we do nothing special on Thanksgiving.

This year we are doing traditional with just a Turkey breast, and we must have jellied cranberry sauce.

Pumpkin pie and whip cream while we are at it.

Dressed up stuffing/dressing and always with added diced veggies to the mixture. This year we are going to add a bit of ground beef and Italian sausage to the mixture, it could be a meal in itself.

Huge twice baked potatoes were a must at the table when I was little, but I just make mashers.
We never ever had gravy at my childhood home, but we do now. (DH quietly mentioned that it was was just weird not to have it after his first Thanksgiving with my family)

The green bean casserole is a must do too, and sweet potatoes in some form.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I told my sisters I would make a pecan pie this year, since this has been the best year in over a decade for nut production on my trees. After several years, they are allowing me back in their houses once again. I am going to surprise them, as I also made a pumpkin pie, which calls for pumpkin puree and sweetened condensed milk, found here: Pumpkin Pie With Condensed Milk
The pecan pie uses no corn syrup; instead it calls for honey, brown sugar and maple syrup. See here: Honey Maple Pecan Pie Without Corn Syrup
The best part for me is that, for the first time in my life, I made successful pie crusts. They look flaky, buttery and golden brown. No store bought soy crust here. I didn't have a rolling pin, so I used a white oak club I've been sanding and whittling on. I used this excellent video here: Favorite Pie Crust
The second best part is that I made both pies in my toaster oven. Though I have a double oven, the toaster oven plain does a better job at focusing heat.

Reactions: nodak3

·
Premium Member
34,240 Posts
Turkey and ham. When they still did butchering, Grandma would make pig stomach. I don't know what was in it besides cubed potatoes and sausage.

Mashed taters. I prefer roasted tossed with onion soup mix but hubby likes only mashed. I don't make gravy except from a package. Nothing I have made tastes close to what Grandma made so I gave up. Sometimes I roast the potatoes with the turkey.

Dressing, never stuffing. Another dish Grandma kept to herself. I make the boxed kind. Stovetop used to have a mushroom and onion that was wonderful but it's no longer available so I use turkey.

Pumpkin pie with whipped cream is mandatory. For family dinners we had pecan (blech), apple cream pie, blueberry and butterscotch.

I don't like sweet potatoes so I either make mashed sweets or roasted with the turkey. Pop likes the brown sugar/marshmallow sweet potato stuff but without marshmallows. Grandma used the big marshmallows until the little ones came out.

Regular green beans, I can't stand the looks of the green bean casserole. Corn with butter and brussel sprouts, maybe a veggie tray are the limit of our vegetables. No olives. Cheese and crackers and tail on cold shrimp with cocktail sauce (I didn't get any this year because Pop ate most of the shrimp) are appetizers.

Doesn't anyone have deviled eggs for Thanksgiving dinner? Grandma made them with pickled eggs. Grandma also made home made cole slaw and saurkraut but nobody likes saurkraut and we're all too lazy to make slaw. I might do some for Christmas because no store sells good stuff anymore.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
We are doing our Turkey day on Sat.
The turkey we butchered from last year is sitting in the brine. Noticed the wing tips look a little frost bitten but no one eats those anyway.
Mashed potatoes and gravy from the turkey drippings
Roasted Butternut squash
Going to try a keto stuffing recipe this year.
Homemade crescent rolls
Homemade cranberry sauce
3 bean salad
pumpkin pie
lemon bars
Depending on the amount of eggs I use and the amount ducks give us maybe deviled eggs.

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
Squashkin pie--that's butternut from my garden instead of pumpkin, made almost in accordance with the Libby recipe on the can, except with sweetened condensed milk.

But most of all, even after 19 years of not, I'd like to just sit down in front of the fireplace tonite and do a Meerschaum bowl full of ....(that's funny, I can't remember the name of the tobacco, now, it's been so long. But once in a while, when I dream, I swear I can taste it.) Such an old addiction.

geo

·
Registered
32 Posts
Each year is different for us.
This year the kids asked me to make my lemon, orange, lime cake, with cream cheese and sprinkled with candied rind shavings.
We smoked a leg of lamb, mac and cheese, green bean casserole, home made bread, and baked sweet potatoes.

We had our big meal yesterday for lunch and doing leftovers today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is my first year cooking and I was so focused on the turkey that I forgot about dessert. So we are having turkey, stuffing, potatoes, greens, and whatever sweet thing I can find in the freezer. I could eat a bowl of gravy because it turned out really good! I'm pretty proud of it except for the dessert part.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Due to scattered family this year, I ate Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant with my DD and her husband. This was the first time ever! Reservations only - $60 per person. Choice of four main dishes and lots of sides. Excellent food. And every person on the wait staff was happy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts