Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Department of Homeland Security has lost track of more than 6,000 foreign nationals who entered the United States on student visas, overstayed their welcome, and essentially vanished -- exploiting a security gap that was supposed to be fixed after the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks.
"My greatest concern is that they could be doing anything," said Peter Edge, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement official who oversees investigations into visa violators. "Some of them could be here to do us harm."

Homeland Security officials disclosed the breadth of the student visa problem in response to ABC News questions submitted as part of an investigation into persistent complaints about the nation’s entry program for students.

ABC News found that immigration officials have struggled to keep track of the rapidly increasing numbers of foreign students coming to the U.S. -- now in excess of one million each year. The immigration agency’s own figures show that 58,000 students overstayed their visas in the past year. Of those, 6,000 were referred to agents for follow-up because they were determined to be of heightened concern.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/visa-...gn-students/story?id=25208740&singlePage=true

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Only 6k of the 58k are considered a risk? I guess in our PC world that 6k must be from Sweden and Norway. It would be impolite to name someone from Saudi Arabia as a risk.

Apparently we've learned nothing from recent history. Our no-guts politicians must figure they're immune from terrorist attacks for some reason.

·
Super Moderator
9,444 Posts
I was thinking , only 6k then i read no 58k that they know about. but only 6k are of immediate concern.

so here is a number to think about , 58k is nearly twice the number of US soldiers deployed to Afghanistan at any one time

who is supporting these 58,000 people or are they just adding to the drain on the system , but illegally

·
Premium Member
25,272 Posts
And who is surprised? They can't keep track of radioactive waste in warehouses or weapons in locked bunkers.

·
Enter farm name here
1,645 Posts
We have people working in our office on visas all the time. From various countries, though mostly from India. But those who I work with from other countries all speak English are here to work, and when their visa is up they go back or have it renewed.

There are a lot of people here on visas who simply work, send money home to their families and keep their noses clean.

Reactions: Tiempo

·
Super Moderator
9,444 Posts
We have people working in our office on visas all the time. From various countries, though mostly from India. But those who I work with from other countries all speak English are here to work, and when their visa is up they go back or have it renewed.

There are a lot of people here on visas who simply work, send money home to their families and keep their noses clean.
there are and the ones who over stay or get in trouble are going to ruin it for the good visa users. that is why it needs to be dealt with. but won't

I have a co-worker who has been trying to get his wife here for almost a year , he will support her , she will likely even be valuable to a company here as a legal worker as she attended college in Wisconsin where they met and graduated her visa ran up and she went home , he went and married her in her home country and is now trying to get back into the US legally , he has a house he is a US citizen in good standing he has a job and will support her . but he is met with delays all the time , and millions border jumping Illegals and tens of thousands who overstayed on visas just hurts the people trying to do it right.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
there are and the ones who over stay or get in trouble are going to ruin it for the good visa users. that is why it needs to be dealt with. but won't

I have a co-worker who has been trying to get his wife here for almost a year , he will support her , she will likely even be valuable to a company here as a legal worker as she attended college in Wisconsin where they met and graduated her visa ran up and she went home , he went and married her in her home country and is now trying to get back into the US legally , he has a house he is a US citizen in good standing he has a job and will support her . but he is met with delays all the time , and millions border jumping Illegals and tens of thousands who overstayed on visas just hurts the people trying to do it right.
Yep it took my daughter in law forever to become a citizen..lots of red tape but she followed all the regulations and finally is a US citizen

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
The government can't keep track of your tax dollars, why would you expect them to even think about keeping track of people, especially ones that aren't paying taxes..

·
Enter farm name here
1,645 Posts
As my daughters would say "this place is a hot mess".

Reactions: terri9630

·
Registered
13,304 Posts

It's not unusual for it to take a year or more. The timeline for his scenario is generally about 9-18 months, but there are a lot of variables.

·
Registered
617 Posts

Which is probably why TPTB don't want her. Her vote is more than likely not for sale, bought and paid for with gov't. freebies...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts