6 year old ewes

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Siryet, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Neighbor wanted to sell my friend six year old ewes instead of lambs. Friend said no so the question I have in mind are six year old ewes a good investment and what is the average life span of sheep? These are a cross of Suffolk and Hampshire I believe.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If they have good teeth and sound udders they'd be worth half what a good yearling would bring. Good solid breeds that likely make a good cross though I've never had them like that. Suffolks and Hamps and both crossed with other breeds yes, just not that cross. You could reasonably expect 2 or 3 trouble free years from experienced ewes. So 8 or 9 productive years is pretty average. They would have to be cheap and well checked for flaws.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I agree with Ross and in the past I have found it to be a good investment. 7 years ago I bought 10 mixed age ewes for $250. All of them had a full mouth indicating that they were at least 4 years old, they were in good order and had good teeth. They all produced lambs every year and I buried the last of them last week. At the very least she would have been 11 years old but I suspect she was older. She produced her last lambs in 2003 and then I put her out to grass.

If you can get these girls at a fair price and they're in good condition with good udders and teeth, I would go for it.

As a matter of interest, I get a bit soft with some of my sheep and let them live their natural life span which seems to be between 10 and 12 years although I have had the odd one go to 14.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

As a means to start out buying proven older ewes is a great way to go. You get animals who have been there and done that... which is helpful if the new farmer hasn't, and you get them cheap. Cheaper anyway.

On any farm the best animals on the farm should be the lambs. You're breeding for "better" so at some point the ewes have to either be culled for the freezer, or moved on to another farm. That doesn't mean there is anything "wrong" with these ewes, only that this farm is a step ahead of the new one, or has a different business plan or goal.

5. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Thank you all for your replys and experience.
    Have a great week

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A great post to read more info is on this board located HERE

7. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

A year and a half ago I bought a 4 year old Suffolk cross ewe for $25! She's six now, and has delivered her second set of twins. More than paid back her purchase price in wool (and all we did was felt over soap with it!) She's still got all her teeth, to. So yes, they can be a great investment.