6 wk old kid wether w/ scours.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by hayzor, Jul 27, 2005.

1. hayzor

hayzor Well-Known Member

My beloved bride had to get a couple of wether's for our kids (humans). The goats are about 5 & 6 weeks old. They have been bottle fed goats milk by the owners until we got them 4 days ago. We started them on goat milk replacer and the larger one (6-7 wks) had the scours when I got home yesterday. I watered down the milk replacer last night and this morning. He drinks about 16 oz in the am & pm. They are also in my pasture w/ some chickens and we also give them timothy hay.
    Don't want to be gross, but here's some more details - his poop yesterday was green and runny (more from grass/ hay, not just milk). This morning he didn't seem to have any fresh stuff down his backside like last night.
    He's got plenty of energy - he runs and jumps all around.
    I know the runs can be serious and I don't want him to get dehydrated. The kids (humans) give them additional water from their bottles during the day, and there is plenty of water in the pasture.
    Any advice so it doesn't get any worse? Meds, feed, etc.

Thanks for the help.

PS - they are algerian pygmy's or minis - something like that. Adults only get up to about knee level.

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

if they were on goats milk before you would do better in feeding store bought vit d milk.
    moving is always stress for the goats. that can trigger coccidia outbreak. are they on prevention for cocci? green diarhea indicates that he had too much grass. i would feed them first before i let them out on pasture.
    when i got my new kids i gave them di-methox 40% 1cc per 10 pound for five days in their milk bottle.
    also to stay on top of cocci you can put 1 teaspoon decox-m once a day in the bottle.

3. goatee

goatee Active Member

I give mine a couple sips of red wine in a bottle,works every time.Dont give them a lot of water this seems to make mine have it worse,Try the wine,if that dont work try a little kaopectate

4. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Stop giving them extra water in their milk! They do not need it watered down!

Sorry but that can and will kill them! It will make the scours that much worse and they won't get enough nutrition. And get them off the replacer ASAP if possible. Replacer is some of the worst stuff in my opinion to put a kid on.

If you can find some Grade D milk or even better is there anyone around who sells goat milk? Maybe contact your local vet and see? Sometimes people advertise through the vet.

Now would be a good time to start treating for Cocci like susanne said. But again please please do NOT put extra water in with their milk. It will not help and will make the matters worse. If you want you can give them pedialight seperate from their regular feedings. Also maybe try feeding them more often in smaller meals?

Pedialight is what I give when I have a kid with scours to help keep them hydrated. Also if you can pick up maybe at your local feed store some Scour Halt. I believe that is what it is called. That will help a ton.

Hope this helps!

MotherClucker

5. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Dido on all above except for the Keopectsate. Bad for rumins. Give pepto bismal 4-6cc's every 6 hours. Will coat the tummy and intestines to help relieve the stress. This works really well for little ones that are changed on feedings or location.Also a couple of tsp of yogart will help too. Hope they do all right.

JR05