6 week old doe..Short of Breath...ill ??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Helena, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Have raised goats for many years now and have seen and accepted the outcome of the little sick ones over the years. It is hard to realize you ..can't save them all and now with our local goat vet gone don't have a very good person to get advice from and of course you must put a $$ amount on how much you will actually do for a sick animal too. But this little 6 week old has me baffled !! :confused: She is one of 2 does born without any problems..nurse well and haven't been ill in anyone since birth. Momma goat does fine with them etc. Now that the days are nicer they are all outside grazing for a few hours. But...when she was born I always thought her breathing..respiration..were too, too fast. I counted 40 a minute at one timeher sides go "in and out" strangley. She jumps around with the other sister doe and is actually the bigger of the two. This afternoon just went up to the barn to shut the gate to their pen...all the goats were outside laying in the sun. this little doe was panting very, very fast. Couldn't get a respiration on her. Every once in a while she'll cry out..not a good sign. She walked into the pen and I separted her, and sister with Momma alone. She is laying down next to them just breathing fast and making that "squeaking" sound that goats often do. Here are my thoughts and tell me what you all think. Could it be that since birth she has had heart problems or lung problems and growing bigger will only add to them ?? Like I have said...no physical ailments at all..very heathly little does otherwise. Don't believe it's poisioning of any kind since others are fine and have dealt and seen tha in past goats I have had...Tried to give a little water down her throat but isn't interested in the bottle..will take a bottle also. What do you all think ????

2. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy does she have a temp?....once in awhile I will get a young kidd that will do the same and often it's a temp that is causing the panting...I have come to the conclusion that some kidds take longer to regulate their own body temp then others...What i do is spong with cool water and try to keep them in a cool dry place in the summer i will use a fan and even ice packs under a bed of hay for over heated kidds.....should also if ya can look into her mouth and down her throat and see if she has any obstruction...cause we know goats love to find lil rocks and such to eat....good luck and keep us updated....Dale Anne

3. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Kept the thermometer in her as long as I could..102 temp..seemed OK there..then I actually gave her 2-3cc syringes of vanillia yougurt..just in case she did eat something that was making her sick..thought poisoning.. She swallowed that fine and was licking her lips afterwards so don't believe that anything is stuck in her throat and she sure screams load enough to be put down on the ground too.. Not too sure about her temp. though..could be higher..?? Was going to give her PCN but she isn't acting like she has pnemonia (sp?)..up poking at the hay..but wouldn't take a bottle..perhaps just like Momma goat better. Was also wondering if perhaps one of the bigger goats butted her and hurt her "inside' somewhere. Will check on her later. I always feel so very useless at times like these..and why is it the bucks seem to survive everything and the little does are delicate...?? Wish me luck !! sniff..sniff :no:

4. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

Had a baby last year that looked like she nursed enough and also would pant. Alot of times her tongue was poking out as she panted. She would not take any water either.

Turns out that she just wasn't get the nourishment she needed. She needed bottle fed.

Some of these babies are very stubborn with the bottles. They want the teet and nothing else.

5. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

if ya have to get some help hubby child...who ever and use a weak kid syringe on her get some electrlites in her and water...can also try putting some of that yogurt all over the bottle nipple and mixing whatever ya using in the bottle with a lil yogert...keep me posted...and yes one of the older ones could have hurt her...keep her seperated from the elders and mom...only put her back with them to suck from mom...keep me updated...good luck...Dale Anne

6. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

If using a weak kid syringe (Tube feeding) please make sure that put it in the stomach and NOT the lungs.

This is what I do when tube feeding a kid...

I warm up the syringe in hot water so it is flexible going down into the stomach.

I detatch the large syringe from the end of the tube that isnt in the kid. I take a cup of water and stick the tube end that isnt in the goat in the water. If I see bubbles I know it is in the lungs. Then I attatch syringe and slowly tube feed milk.

Also, I line up the tube on the outside of the goat to follow the route, and mark where it should end. The link below explains it better than I can.

http://hoeggergoatsupply.com/info/tube_feed.shtml
    www.goatworld.com/articles/kidding/tubefeedingrw.shtml

7. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

so far this little doe (Valentine ..born on Feb 14)..is doing OK. Still the heavy breathing but no different now than before the really heavy breathing. She is eating hay, grain and out running around. She was always the bigger of the 2 does but no I notice she isn't anymore. Offer her the bottle with milk and or water..a couple sips and that's it..she'll nurse from Momma but not starving when I put Momma on the stand. I still think as I did when she was born that possibly she has a heart problem and the older she gets the worse it will get. Her heart won't be able to support a growing kid. But...They have surprised me all before. Have had the shovel ready to bury them and up..they stand and are "cured"..Keep taking her temp..102.8..did give her a shot of PCN last night..more for me than her really. Will probably do that for a few days..considered taking her to a vet..but need to find a really good knowledgeable goat vet. Suppose I should begin that search today just in case . So...guess time will tell with little Valentine and her sister Kandy. Thanks !!

8. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Could you listen to her chest with stethescope? Or have someone in the family that's a nurse? They may be able to hear a murmur. A regular vet should be able to also. It does sound heart related. And usually heart & lungs go hand in hand. Are her gums pale or bluish after playing hard? Just thinking...

Tricia

9. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

To check for a severe murmur take her and hold her, get her calmed down (quiet) and place your hands over her heart, one on either side. You should be able to feel a strong 'thump thump' if you feel a washing machine motion, or a swish swish get her checked out by a vet. Matter of fact, that's what I'd do anyway, but it does pay to learn what a clear heart feels like, and what a bad heart does. On the other hand, it might just be her personality too.

10. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Yes..did try to listen to her heart..I am a nurse..but she screams so loudly you think I was killing her !! But..for the last few days she has seemed fine. today..again..after being outside in the pasture she is panting away as if the weather is a 100 degress..which never is in this part of PA . Vet comeing out on Monday to check on our horse and will have him take a quick listen to her. Sure hope he doesn't charge me a house call for the little goat too...Oh..well..such is life I guess. I think she is just this way because of health problems or whatever but either way we will probably just wait and see how well she does as she gets older..(snif sniff). Let you know what the vet does say !!