Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42,495 Posts
My finance guy told me that yesterday

Maybe we will relive the heyday of the 80's. Whoopee!

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
18,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My finance guy told me that yesterday

Maybe we will relive the heyday of the 80's. Whoopee!
I believe I was getting over 15% on mine. I had sold my house and moved to the beach (rental), so I put all my money in CDs. Unfortunately, I had only bought 1 year CDs and the rate came down quickly by the time they expired.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I see where some are paying as much as 4%. You still lose buying power, just at a slower rate.
Ive purchased some longer term CD's ...5 years makes sense as its very unlikely to me that the fed will hold interest rates this high for that long. My guess, they'll be cutting in a couple of years and you wont find 4% anywhere.

Better still, there are good A rated corporate bonds going for 5.5, even 6%.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
18,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive purchased some longer term CD's ...5 years makes sense as its very unlikely to me that the fed will hold interest rates this high for that long. My guess, they'll be cutting in a couple of years and you wont find 4% anywhere.

Better still, there are good A rated corporate bonds going for 5.5, even 6%.
My time limit is 1 year.

Haven't had the time to really do the research, but I keep thinking shorting the market against some high-paying dividend stocks might work. The trick is to come up with a ratio that basically zeroes out the loss from your stocks going down against the gain from shorting the market. It would work the same if the stocks went up and the market went up. The dividends would be profit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts