Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.........I'm trying to figure out if it is possible too care for a small dog while living in a trailer , when it isn't always possible to take the dog with you . IOW , I wouldn't want to leave my dog locked up inside my trailer so I'd logically have to keep it in a small holding type pen . I really don't feel comfortable with either situation . There have been several pups at the animal shelter I'd seriously consider adopting . I'll need to work at least part time for a few years as long as my health holds up . I'm thinking I'll remain dogless for the immediate future . Thanks , fordy

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
A small dog would be ok in your trailer as long as you made sure you gave it plenty of exercise when you were home. Also as long as the trailer wasn't too hot or too cold while you were gone. A cat would do well in your trailer too.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Songbird said:
A small dog would be ok in your trailer as long as you made sure you gave it plenty of exercise when you were home. Also as long as the trailer wasn't too hot or too cold while you were gone. A cat would do well in your trailer too.
..........Thanks Songbird . It would probably just drag me around by the leash , LOL . , fordy

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
How long would you be gone at a time? How hot does it get in your trailer? How hot is it outside?

If you aren't gone for 8-12+ hours on a regular basis and your trailer or the environment doesn't get too hot, then there's no reason you couldn't have a dog.

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
my best friend and her dh are in an rv fulltime now....they've recently gotten a small dog. The kind that will fit in a pocketbook. they're both enjoying having it around they say.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You don't have to get a young dog. I recently adopted a "senior" boxer through a rescue. It has been wonderful!! She was already housbroken and is more than happy to stay inside alone while I work each day ( I think I wear her out when I'm home), sometimes up to 10 hours.
You seem to be in the perfect place to find just the right mature, slightly used dog...........I promise that they will be forever grateful.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Think about this: how many people leave their dog in a crate while they are at work all day? If you feel your dog would be more comfortable outside, and not be a barking nuisance, go ahead and fence in an area. If you fenced in an area just outside your door, so you have to go through the fenced in area to get into the trailor, you'd be saving yourself some steps. If you decide to leave the dog in the trailer, you may need an air conditioner in the trailer during the summer. On the other hand, if the dog was outside he could lay under the trailer.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
SDjulieinSC said:
You don't have to get a young dog. I recently adopted a "senior" boxer through a rescue. It has been wonderful!! She was already housbroken and is more than happy to stay inside alone while I work each day ( I think I wear her out when I'm home), sometimes up to 10 hours.
You seem to be in the perfect place to find just the right mature, slightly used dog...........I promise that they will be forever grateful.
Too true; our old stray foundling, Ben, is about as much trouble as an extra end table; same size when he's sitting, and about as active. :p

However, we don't know how old he is, but I'd guess he's at least ten, and a dobie mix... I doubt he'll be around all that much longer, and will break our hearts when he goes; poor fella had a very rough life before we found him. But, when he goes, we'll probably go to the shelter and find another old dog in need of a soft bed and full bowl for a few years... they're so grateful for the littlest things, and really don't take much time to care for.

But too, if this will be your only dog I might go with a younger one (perhaps a trained threeish year old?) so you don't lose your pal too soon. Puppies are wonderful, but they can be alot of work...

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Take a look at the Ratbone Rescues website, www.ratbonerescues.com.

This rescue group is dedicated to helping Rat Terriers and they have dogs of all ages available for adoption. Rat Terriers are small and don't need a lot of room, but they have big hearts and really love their people! A young rat terrier might be too energetic for a trailer, but an adult or older Rat Terrier would probably be a perfect fit for your situation.

Ratbone Rescues places rescued Rat Terriers in foster homes which is great because you can learn a lot more about the dog living in that kind of situation than a dog in a shelter.

Ooh! look at this sweetie! http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9049876

You may not be ready now, but keep this in mind for the future!

Deb
in wi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.