55 gal. drum

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Gypsy, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Gypsy

Gypsy Well-Known Member

Having trouble finding a new/used 55 gal. drum for a burn barrel. Checked at local Blue Seal, Marden’s and Home Depot. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

just bought one this weekend here in texas, got it at a army surplus store, paid 10 dollars for it also purchased a clear one that had coke in it for 15 dollars, going to use the clear one for water storage.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I see them in the want ads from time to time. I use an old 275 gallon fuel oil tank. The oval kind that people put furnace oil in. I cut a square hole about two feet square in one end , and have it up on legs. Your trash never gets wet in there, and it will burn everything down to fine ashes. I take a long handled shovel and shovel out about a wheel barrow of ashes every 6 months or so. A burn barrel laying on its side works better because everything burns and don't get wet.

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

5. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

We get them from our farmer's co-op for $5

6. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

Cabin Fever,

How many other states have banned this pratice?

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Most every one...at least the ones that care about air pollution.

Did you have a state in mind?

8. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

I don’t have a homestead yet. I’m still working on my plan. Just good info to know.
    Thanks

9. MissChris

MissChris Well-Known Member

I have about 75-100 of these things in my yard. They are there for the taking to whoever wants them, but unfortunately I'm in upstate NY.

-Chris

10. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I almost bought one at a yard sale this weekend, but my truck was full! :haha:

11. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Debbie, I think you'll find that Wa doesn't allow burning barrels anymore, at least not around here they don't. In fact it will soon be no outdoor buring at all.

12. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Painted black and filled with water, they absorb the heat of the day and help keep my green house warm in the winter.

Just thought I would mention that. :D

13. MissChris

MissChris Well-Known Member

Does that include bonfires and campfires? At night we like to have a small fire to sit around, I hope they don't outlaw that!

14. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Used to get barrels at the company that supplies LP and fuel oil. Also have seen them by the dumpster at the Sunbeam bread bakery. And stacked around places that work on cars. They need to be cleaned out and have holes punched in the sides. They do not burn efficiently, and fill with snow and ice and rain. Switched to a circle of cement blocks holding a ring of fencing to keep the bits from flying around and provide lots of air and ease of cleaning up the ashes. Now the recycling center accepts paper and cardboard, so not much ever gets out to the "barrel".

15. deberosa

Yeah, I know. I certainly hope they don't end all outdoor burning -that would be ridiculous but this state is notorious for way too many laws. I was going to use the barrel to scald turkeys, or compost bin, certainly could find some use for it!

16. deberosa

You can have a 4 by 4 pile of vegetative material only. I cleared my place with bon fires like this. I also have outdoor fireplaces. But I never burn from June through September - it gets scary dry here and won't risk it. It's usually banned then anyhow.

The military camp style homeowners association I came from last year wanted to ban campfires in that place, but they wanted to ban breathing too. :rolleyes: Since the place started as a campground, they got an earful about that!

But stay aware! Washington wants to control everything you do. There is noise about putting meters on your well because they "own" the water table!!!

17. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Westbrook: do you put oil of some kind on top of the water ? i am thinking about doing that as a way to prolong my growing season in green house. but dont have room for a great number of them. my nearest neighbor with a huge green house has like 50 barrels in his?

18. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

go to a place that paints cars. they get thinner in 55 gal drums. one of my nephews is a paint guy at a collision shop they have 100 of em. the ones with xylene or acetone evaporate clean and odor free. His garage will cut the top off with a big can opener thing, you might get some place tro do the same.

19. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

We used to have a BBQ made with a 55 gal drum. It was cut in half lengthwise so that, turned on its side, it had a base and a lid. They were connected with hinges along one side. Pipes were welded on the base for legs. Angle iron was welded to the two ends on the inside of the base, for shelf supports. The grill was an expanded metal shelf that could be moved to the height desired. As I recall, a fire was built in this thing, allowed to burn down to coals, then the meat put in to cook/smoke. I think the lid had a couple holes for smoke escape.

If you have a welder and some imagination, you could make several of these up and sell them. You probably should try to determine what was in them. I'm not sure all nasties will be burned out. Ours were from the oilfields.

Sandi

20. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

Check with your local motorcycle shops, too!