"53" Allis Chalmers CA

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Oshbrg, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Oshbrg

Oshbrg Member

Hi Guys,

My CA is reunning weird today. If runs like crap unless I have the choke pulled on. Personally I think the carb is going to need a cleaning and that should take care of it, but I thought I see what you guys think before digging into it.

Also, is it common to have a pto that makes a bit of noise? Its not real bad, but when I use the hydralics, the pto has to be running( cause thats what runs the pump) and it just seems to be louder that I expect. Do the old tractors pto's make more noise than new ones?

Thanks

Mike

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The fuel is not getting into the carb as it should. Often the gas tank outlet valve gets clogged with rust and trash. If the problem is not there and there is no gas filter then the problem is in the carb with it clogged

3. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

Another possibility is a vacuam leak. Either not enough fuel (as agmantoo mentioned) or too much air. If you have a can of spray carb cleaner you can leave the choke open and spray around the carb base (and the manifold to head area too). If it idles up or smooths out then you found the leak. Be sure not to let any spray get sucked into the carb or it will fool you.

No idea on the PTO noise.