51 record lows Saturday morning

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by primroselane, Aug 7, 2004.

1. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

This global warming has turned out to be a bit chillier than many of us expected.

2. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Shucks, ma'am, I thought you were talking about the stock market. Sure is getting mighty ugly!

bearkiller

3. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

It was 54 here on Friday morning but about 45 minutes north it was 37!!

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Well it was 57 when I got up, here in the Ozarks! I had to go out to check on an injured duck. I went in my flip flops and short and just about froze to death with that dew on my toes! :eek:

5. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

About 55 or 57 this morning in N. Alabama.
    I went to Uncle's house so I could sleep with two windows open in a bedroom to get the air. (my bedroom has windows only on one side).

One quilt,
    Got up this morning and wrapped in a piece of polar fleece sat on the porch and swung until about 11 am....

Watched hummingbirds, etc.

What a wonderful day... and low humidity....

AngieM2

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

7. DWIGHT DUNCAN

DWIGHT DUNCAN Active Member

I think we got all the heat here in the West. Its in the high 90's in the shade.
    I can't remember what rain feels like, its been so long since we had any. My water bill for last month was $226 for my 2 acre property. And yet folks in KS/MO got 7 inches of rain in the past 4 weeks.

8. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I live 60 miles south of Phoenix. High today 106, low tonight 81. You guys are lucky. But in the winter our weather gets nice like what you are having right now. I have a place in the mountains in Northern AZ where the high today is 88 and the low tonight 53. But the work (and income) is here. So I only get there on some weekends. In a perfect world I could summer up north and winter here but I haven't gotten to that point yet. I am working on it. :)

9. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

For sure! 42 degrees here on our montana mountain this morning. i think i could smell fall in the air too! We did have a summer this year, one week in july!

10. mountainman

mountainman New Member

Read up, my friend, before you express an opinion.

Global warming can't be seen on your thermometer. The shift from ice ages to warm periods (at least throughout the first millions of years that we can tell) has been caused by changes of just a few degrees difference in yearly AVERAGE temps. We don't feel it, but the ice caps and glaciers melt and grow based on this. According to the best information we have, global warming will, at least for a while, result in greater extremes of temperatures for some regions, warmer for some, colder for some, drier for some, wetter for others. The way you can tell is by watching the ice caps wax and wane, and boy are they waning right now.

I love you folks who are willing to risk the very earth you depend on to survive for some political belief or an imaginary and/or temporary financial benefit. All the dough in the world won't do you much good when you can't drink the water any more...

11. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

True, true Mountainman,
    The Artic ice sheet is now nearly 40% smaller than it was in the 1970's!
    Global warming is a real fact, and it is here whether we want it or know
    it. Who wants to gamble with the future of our ancestors on whether it
    is human-caused, or a naturally-occurring phenomenon? Not me. Its time
    we start taking it seriously. Visit the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
    Dept. website and they will give forecasts for each region. One of the
    reasons we are looking to move to the Great Lakes region...will get slightly
    warmer (actually lengthen the growing season!) but still should have plenty
    of water.
    Stuck in Houston,
    james benthall

12. Gina

Gina Active Member

Mountainman, you took the words right out of my mouth!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!

Gina

13. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

Mountainman, pcwerk and Gina: The flora/fauna mix is definitely changing. Fauna is increasingly de3creasing the flora. We are just on the edge of most of the world's population changing from the subsistence level to the consumer level. At the same time the vast majority, excluding China, is drunkenly oblivious to the additional billion people that arrive every few years. Human activities should definitely cause the atmosphere to warm.

That said, the planet's surface warms, cools, and is even on occassion static.
    How do you know we are not heading back into an ice age? Why wouldn't a greenhouse effect benefit both flora and fauna going into an ice age? How do you know what thermal direction the planet is headed?

14. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

Thats the point Primrose, we don't have the answers to these questions
    (except the ice age one--we are in-between ice ages, called a chron) and
    I don't feel like GAMBLING the entire future of HUMANITY! Lets act on what
    we know (i.e. mean temps are increasing, polar caps are thinning, sea levels
    are rising, etc.) and show a little foresight. If anyone reads Mother Earth
    News they can see that there will be money in solar cells and renewable
    energy as well.
    Stuck in Houston (energy capital of the world)
    James Benthall

15. Gina

Gina Active Member

Well, personally, I don't know anything near what Climatologists know about the world's weather but I know that they are worried about it. Generally speaking, if the experts are scared, it is something worth noticing. I was watching a show on climate change a few days ago and they were discussing this very topic. One climatologist said, "we have only been studying climatology for a relatively short period of time and therefore have no real way of knowing what will happen." This is VERY true. Their computer models, etc are just being developed and don't have real sufficient data to say with absolute certainty that they know what is going to happen. However, another climatologist said just that same as a member had posted here. "We know that the global temp is rising. We know that the ice is melting. We know that storms are getting more severe. We know that the sea level is rising. We may not know with certainty where things are headed but do you really want to wait until we get there to prepare for it?" Do you wait until after the hurricane arrives to go buy supplies? Do you wait until the tornado is done tearing up your house before going to your storm shelter? Do you lock that gate AFTER the cows have escaped? NO WAY! At the risk of using too many cliches, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! I think Mother nature has a pretty good idea of how to run things. We keep gunking up the gears. :no:

One last thing, I'd like to share a quote from Albert Einstein: The world today has problems that can not be solved by thinking the way we thought when we created them.

Gina