Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some places that I can call who will want to get rid of these things. I know they have to be out there. We want some to put feed in, so we can buy it by the ton.

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
The ones I use I got from the feed mill. They bring in ones that were used for tomato paste. :shrug: They charge $8 each, and refill them while on your truck. (Then you have to unload them, which is fun!) If you ever don't want them anymore, he buys them back for the same price.

If you find a direct source, you can probably find buyers for extras easily enough.

Meg

·
If I need a Shelter
21,645 Posts
Find someone that has a Car Wash.

big rockpile

G

·
Around here virtually every farm supply and feed & seed store has these plastic drums. I've also bought them directly from the feed mill (before they went out business). A couple of bucks at a car wash got them clean enough that it took little work at home to have them ready for feed storage.

.....Alan.

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
A.T. Hagan said:
Around here virtually every farm supply and feed & seed store has these plastic drums. I've also bought them directly from the feed mill (before they went out business). A couple of bucks at a car wash got them clean enough that it took little work at home to have them ready for feed storage.

.....Alan.

Oh, I didn't think about plastic ones. We've gotten plastic pickle barrels, too, from the feed store. I prefer the metal drums though, for storing feed in.

G

·
Many of the same places carry metal drums as well, but I'd scrutinize them carefully to be sure of what they formerly contained before I'd use them for feed. I much prefer the heavy plastic drums because they don't rust and are easier to clean.

If none of the farm supplies and such carry metal drums then look in your local phone book Yellow Pages under "drum service." There's probably one somewhere in your area. Call them and say you need a food grade drum. You might even be able to get a used one that's already been cleaned at a decent price.

.....Alan.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
If you're near Wichita the Coke or Pepsi plant there should have some, they also have smaller ones, 30+/- gal. I've gotten the ones I use for nest boxes from the dairy supply company but they have some NASTY chemicals...I wouldn't put feed or water in them. After they have a chance to air out and the chemicals to dissipate, they're great for nest boxes. Pickling places are said to have them as well.

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
7,245 Posts
We have a twinky factory near by [okay fine they are not really twinkys, these are a local brand of sponge cake stuffed with creme filling].

Their back loading dock has 55 gallon drums that had been filled with: lard, pineapple filling, vanilla, and all of them are lined with an enamel that makes them food grade.

G

·
I use to work at a hospital that received and trashed a lot of plastic barrels. Both 30 gallon and 50 gallon size. They would recieve them in the laundry department that come with detergents and bleach. Also, the boiler department received them with water softeners and such.

·
Premium Member
16,244 Posts
I called the local recycler and they had some 55's but they had been used for spray foam chemicals.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for all the wonderful leads. Thanks to you I was able to track down 6 55 gallon drums that originally had honey in them. They are only $4 a piece!!! The have snap on lids. Exactly what I was looking for.

Oh and Pepsi is supposed to call me back, so maybe they will have them cheaper :) thank you every one.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Last year I was in search of 55 gallon plastic drums for water storage and had no luck because every place I called said they send their empties back to the suppliers and they refill them. I called the local Pepsi bottleing company, local car washes and a couple other places with no luck. I did finally find a guy selling them at a flea market and got me two of them.

·
Banned
1,184 Posts
I got the ones I have and the ones I have set up as burning barrels at the two resorts I care take for at a large industrial type baker in Madison, WI.

I get them from one of the employees of the bakery that trades the drums for weekend stays at the resorts work out very well for me/the resort owners/and the guy who gets me the drums. Up here to buy metal 55 gallon drums to use as burning barrels they run about $50 bucks each!

Margie

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ended up calling the grain mill. They said they didn't have any, but suggested another feed place that might have some. I called them and they said they did. They get them with honey in them. I'm not sure if they are metal or plastic, but for $4 I'll take my chances and try plastic first if they are plastic. :) I think we are going to buy at least 6 for grain storage and a couple more for waterers.

We found out we can have our feed custom mixed at the mill and buy it by the ton for half the price of feed in the store in 50# bags.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.