Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 5 week old Nigerian dwarf doeling. I walked out to the stall yesterday to find her laying down under heat lamp and panting. She couldnt stand, so brought her inside and put her in a crate. Gave her vitamin b complex injection, goat electrolytes and power punch (she drinks it out of a bowl). She had a fever of 105.4 initially. Gave her a shot of LA200 (.25 ml). Fever has decreased and remains around 103.2 to 103.8. She still wont walk or stand for long and is shivering (even though she doesnt have fever). She is 9.9 pounds and her famacha score is good. The day before I found her, she was acting normal. We gave her a 2nd dose of (toltrazuril) baycox and her cd&t shot. Cant see the vet until tomorrow afternoon. she is peeing quite a bit and has good pellets.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,190 Posts
Do you have injectible thiamine? If not, dose her again with the B comples. Maybe another .25 of the LA200.

What vaccinations has she had?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Alice. I do have B1 (thiamine) I had to get from the vet. I gave that to her yesterday, then today did the b complex since I read that there is a greater risk of anaphylaxis with the thiamine. I redosed her 30 min ago with .25 LA200 and the b complex.

She had her 1st coccidia at 2 wks of age on 2/16. We usually redose 3 weeks later (5 wks old). That one was given 3/7 along with her cd&t.

Just trying to get other take on what could be wrong, since our vet (like most) arent necessarily skilled in taking care of goats. I was thinking pneumonia. Her breathing is kinda loud......but there isnt any fever.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,190 Posts
Hmm. Can you listen to her lungs? Pneumonia is a squeeky rattle sort of noise.

The thiamine works FAST, so if she's had that and the B complex, I am not sure what else it could be. My mind is running through a checklist, but you've done everything!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just took her temp with a new thermometer...103.6. She is acting like she is fevered though. She does drink alot when I put the bowl under her.....

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Have been following -- reaching for ideas now
Has she had milk? I saw powerpunch and electrolytes from a bowl, wondering about milk at 5 weeks.

Any chance your girl got into something that poisoned her?

Can you give Ibuprofen 200mg tablet per 25#
I usually use Banamine, but the dose is 1ml/100# and she's so tiny.

When desperate, I have used this mixture 1/4 tsp each cayenne, cinnamon, ACV and molasses plus enough water to make 15 cc. Give 2-3 times a day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have been following -- reaching for ideas now
Has she had milk? I saw powerpunch and electrolytes from a bowl, wondering about milk at 5 weeks.

Any chance your girl got into something that poisoned her?

Can you give Ibuprofen 200mg tablet per 25#
I usually use Banamine, but the dose is 1ml/100# and she's so tiny.

When desperate, I have used this mixture 1/4 tsp each cayenne, cinnamon, ACV and molasses plus enough water to make 15 cc. Give 2-3 times a day.
Hi mzgarden. She and her sister were nursing on mom, so the last day she had milk was Sunday. We have milked mom and trying to feed her by bottle, but she just wont take any that way. We have taken small syringe fulls and tried to give it to her that way, but she doesnt get much that way. I have 325 mg aspirin, crushed and ready to give via liquid and syringe, but since she didnt have a fever I thought it may not help. I will try that now and see if she perks up. Her fast heartrate, rapid breathing and lethargy makes me feel like she is really dehydrated. Like I posted earlier, I found her under the heat lamp (it was in the high 70's here that day) and that was the only time her temp was elevated. But....she is still urinating.
I don't think she could have gotten into anything since where we keep the moms and kids is cleared around the pen.
Thanks for that recipe..what is ACV? I am willing to try anything at this point. I will try to attach a picture of her. Her name is midnight.

Just praying she can hold on until her vet appt at 3:30 tomorrow!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi mzgarden. She and her sister were nursing on mom, so the last day she had milk was Sunday. We have milked mom and trying to feed her by bottle, but she just wont take any that way. We have taken small syringe fulls and tried to give it to her that way, but she doesnt get much that way. I have 325 mg aspirin, crushed and ready to give via liquid and syringe, but since she didnt have a fever I thought it may not help. I will try that now and see if she perks up. Her fast heartrate, rapid breathing and lethargy makes me feel like she is really dehydrated. Like I posted earlier, I found her under the heat lamp (it was in the high 70's here that day) and that was the only time her temp was elevated. But....she is still urinating.
I don't think she could have gotten into anything since where we keep the moms and kids is cleared around the pen.
Thanks for that recipe..what is ACV? I am willing to try anything at this point. I will try to attach a picture of her. Her name is midnight.

Just praying she can hold on until her vet appt at 3:30 tomorrow!
Update: I just put some fresh hay in her crate and she was definitely chewing. What is someone's thoughts of taking mamas milk and adding it to crushed goat feed and allowing her to "lick" it out of the bowl? I know she loves the feed mix we give the moms because we would always have to keep her (and the other kids) from eating and choking on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: I just put some fresh hay in her crate and she was definitely chewing. What is someone's thoughts of taking mamas milk and adding it to crushed goat feed and allowing her to "lick" it out of the bowl? I know she loves the feed mix we give the moms because we would always have to keep her (and the other kids) from eating and choking on it.
Good morning everyone. Woke up this morning to find Midnight made it through the night. I picked her up and she stood, stretched and peed so much. Then had a few normal pellets. I put her outside the crate , and while cleaning it, she took about 7 steps and they weren't as wobbly. She stretched like 5 times, lol. Although she eventually fell down, she definitely had more stregnth than she has had over the last few days. I feel confident that we will make it to our 3:30 appt. Still fighting with taking a bottle. The amount of urine made feel better about her dehydration issue. ALICE- thank you for the links! I will look into getting the lactated ringers from the vet today since its Rx only.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Good news indeed. You may be on the mend which is great. I'll share a couple more things I've done in desperation mode - which you may not need now but may help another time.

Some strange things I've tried - your mileage may vary (YMMV)
a) Dip the bottle nipple into a little Karo syrup or molasses when trying to feed a bottle to a non-bottle baby.
b) Use a drench gun to feed/rehydrate in small quantities - Syringes are small and have short tips, squirting milk into the mouth allows them to spit or dribble it out. A drench gun has a longer reach, so you can get past the tongue and avoid some of the ability to spit it back out.
c) If she will lap out of a bowl, that's another option. The thing with milk in a bowl is keeping it at a right temp without letting it go bad.
d) Tubing can be an option and while I have the equipment, I've not personally done it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for those great tips! So we just returned from our vet visit and her feces is completely normal. He couldn't see any parasites whatsoever. She's improved so much since last night. By the time I got there she was walking around barely stumbling at all. He couldn't see anything wrong with their he looked at her said she was not dehydrated good coloring famacha score was great. He just recommended continuing the treatment I was doing until she was 100% better. He said that I could definitely do what I recommended which is mashup the goat feed and add Mama's milk to it. But you make a good point and that he needs to stay a good temperature so doesn't go bad. I'm taking really small batches at a time.

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi. I have a 5 week old Nigerian dwarf doeling. I walked out to the stall yesterday to find her laying down under heat lamp and panting. She couldnt stand, so brought her inside and put her in a crate. Gave her vitamin b complex injection, goat electrolytes and power punch (she drinks it out of a bowl). She had a fever of 105.4 initially. Gave her a shot of LA200 (.25 ml). Fever has decreased and remains around 103.2 to 103.8. She still wont walk or stand for long and is shivering (even though she doesnt have fever). She is 9.9 pounds and her famacha score is good. The day before I found her, she was acting normal. We gave her a 2nd dose of (toltrazuril) baycox and her cd&t shot. Cant see the vet until tomorrow afternoon. she is peeing quite a bit and has good pellets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts