5 week old calf with scours

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Petersonclan, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Petersonclan

Petersonclan New Member

We have a one month old calf with the scours. He is a jersey. We have had him for close to four weeks. Last week (Monday) he came down with scours. We cut his milk replacer in half (purina), and when he wasn't better by Friday we gave him half a bottle of Kaopectate. He has been eating well, and walking well until this morning. He took a long time to eat this morning, and is walking very slowly. What would you suggest? Please be specific.

Thanks for your help. I would sure hate to lose this cute little calf.

Carri Peterson

2. uarelovedbygod

uarelovedbygod Well-Known Member

By the way, if you look further down in the posts, someone else recently posted a question about jersey bulls with scours...really helpful replies to their questions.

--Chris

3. andy gingery

andy gingery Member

I would take him off all milk and give him an oral hydration, Electrolyte solution for at least two feedings, then go to half of the milk replacer and half electrolyte for 2 feedings. But if you are feeding this calf a whole 4 pint bottle of milk replacer 1st you need to cut it in half, he is a jersey and they cannot have a whole bottle, it is to much for them. my husband and I have been through this. Also give him a shot of LA 200 antibotic, give about 2 1/2cc., get from the feed store, and also sustain 3, bolus scour pills. We also used to use purina milk replacer, but changed to maxi care,made by Land of Lakes. Have had much better results. Be careful of what kind of grain you are using, make sure it is not ground real fine, maybe better to get one that is pellets, and rolled corn and oats, about 10% protein, free choice water. If it was me I would get ahold of a vet. Check, by pulling up on the calfs hide, if it does not fall back down really quickly then he is dehydrated and in need of electrolytes

4. Petersonclan

Petersonclan New Member

Well, we get ahold of the vet. He gave some antibiotics, two scours pills, and two bags of electrolyte mix. He said to give half the electrolytes now, plus the pills and antibiotics. In an hour or so give the rest of the electrolyte, and then at dinner time, give him the normal amount of milk replacer with half the water. This seems opposite of what we have heard and read, but he said that if we are only giving half the milk, he would only be getting half the energy.

We were only giving 3/4 cup of powder to 3 pints (1.5 quarts) of water. My suspicion is that it was the cold snap we had last week, plus I found out my daughter had been feeding the calves with cold water instead of warm...

Any opinion as to adding 2 eggs to the milk tonight? Will that help or hinder?