5 in 1 Apple and Pear Trees

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Wannabee, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

This is a newbie here. Just got the Burgess Seed and Plant catalog. They mention 5-on-1 Dwarf apple and pear trees. Does anyone have any experience with these trees? At $18.49 for each plant, are they worth it????

Also, this question I also posted on the Homesteading questions, but I am considering getting Burgess's "postage stamp" orchard. I have never had one before, but I am definitely interested in my own fruit trees. They claim that they can fit 1 dwarf yellow apple, 1 dwarf red delicious, 1 dwarf elberta peach, 1 dwarf kieffer pear, 1 dwarf north star cherry, and 1 dwarf nectarine in a 10x20 ft space. They also claim that this setup requires no extra pollination. I have about a 30x50 space for the orchard. I am in zone 5??? (Indiana). Does anyone have any suggestions??

If you were going to start from scratch, and you had a 30x50 area, and wanted a variety of fruit SOON, what would you do? What company would you most recomend??

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I've had the most luck with Miller and Stark Bros.

3. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

Anyone have any idea of what I SHOULD plant or what would fit in the 30x50 area to produce fruit the fastest???????????????????????

4. diane

diane Well-Known Member

You have plenty of time before you have to order. I would never order trees from Burgess myself. Stark Bros. and Miller's Nursery both have websites that you can order their catalog. They will give you square foot recommendations. Plant what your family likes best. You do have to pay attention to pollination requirements. Burgess makes a bunch of claims that I personally have to question since we have started several orchards. (just my 2cents worth)

5. desertdreamer

desertdreamer Well-Known Member

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I had a friend grow a 5-in-1...I think it was apple. My dad has a 2-in-1 pear. Since the different parts are grafts, the branches do bear according to the variety of the branch, But! this means that the trees suseptibility to disease is based on the weakest strain on it, plus, my dad has found that the graft up that high makes for a very weak fork in the tree. He supported it for years, and got fruit, until he was tired of fighting it, and just let it split. Made good firewood. My friends tree is still small, so have no idea.

I'e also seen dogwoods grafted this way, pink on one side, white on the other. They're prone to splitting, too.

Meg