5 Hunters Murdered

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tallpines, Nov 21, 2004.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

and 3 more shot by disgruntled hunter over trespassing issues.......here in NW Wisconsin.....
    news is just out....no more details for rightt now.

2. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

5 Dead, 3 Injured In Hunter Rampage
    TV Station: Shootings Were Over Tree Stand

POSTED: 8:25 pm EST November 21, 2004
    UPDATED: 8:56 pm EST November 21, 2004

HAYWARD, Wis. -- A reported dispute between hunters in northwestern Wisconsin erupted into a shooting that left five people dead and three injured.
    A St. Paul, Minn., TV station reported the alleged gunman was arrested.
    The station quoted authorities as saying the shooting began after a hunting party saw a hunter they didn't know occupying their tree stand. That led to a confrontation.

It happened near Birchwood around noon Sunday.
    The station said one victim used a walkie-talkie to call for help, but when other hunting partners came to the scene they also were shot.
    http://www.nbc13.com/news/3937557/detail.html

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Jeez, I got friends hunting there right now.

4. shepsrus

shepsrus Member

The last I heard, this happened near Exeland--30+ miles east of Rice Lake. There are five believed dead and several more injured. My neighbor hunts near there.

We've had "encounters" with trespassers that insist that they own our land. We've lived here over a dozen years! Two things we've learnd after moving to Wisconsin--don't talk trash about the Packers, and don't mess with Wisconsin deer hunters.

shepsrus

5. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

This appears to be a Hmong from St. Paul. This bugs me a whole bunch, since I know that for the most part these are decent folks, and this yahoo is going to just create problems for them.

6. Gayle in LA

Gayle in LA Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm so glad the guy had an assault rifle, otherwise he wouldn't have been quite so able to kill as many of those nervy property owners as he did. But wait, I thought we were now in Bush's OWNERSHIP SOCIETY..............guess the Chimperor didn't actually mean the LITTLE GUYS.

7. Yep, that is why I started using portable treestands. Take it with me the morning of the hunt and back out with me when I leave. I've been a victum of having other hunters take over my permanent treestands. One year I built a treestand in a tree and used it several times that year and come next year the first day I climbed in it I had 3 other hunters come in to it to only see me there already in it.

8. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

also never have store bought stands out in the woods, they are a target of theives! I know way too many people that has had a portable stolen, even when they lock them with chain and Locks!!

9. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

Gayle in LA

Probably 90% of the people that come to this site do not like left wing liberals so take your gun opinions to another site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely, Mike

10. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

I didn't see the part about assault rifle. Could you show the info?

11. diane

diane Well-Known Member

"Gayle in LA

Probably 90% of the people that come to this site do not like left wing liberals so take your gun opinions to another site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely, Mike"

Although I thought Gayle's remark was really off the wall........what the heck gives a boy with 22 posts the right to tell someone their opinion is not wanted here?

12. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Wowsters! I have to agree with Diane in that Gayle's comment is a bit strange.

Mike, here is some advice from an oldie. Tread carefully.

This whole episode is so competely tragic! We heard about it last night on the news. How horrible! I can't imagine what the families are feeling today! To have someone you love shot down like that.

I'm so happy that we know the owners of the land around us and we know the hunters that walk around here! Heck, one just drove into our driveway! He's probably going to walk to his deerstand.

13. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

14. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Oh, you got that right. Lost TWO of the !@#$%^&*! things this year, chained, locked, someone went up into OUR WOODS totally prepared to steal those stands. And we're talking just above our house. Since we're pretty aware of who is up on our hill, somebody knew our schedule and waited until we weren't here to take them.

Which means it is probably someone we know, which is what really frosts my butt!

15. sherwood

sherwood Active Member

I wonder if this is in any way connected to a very similar thing that happen about
    15 miles southwest of Marshfield WI. about 3 years ago. A hunter was found shot
    in the back dead with is gun missing. Perpetrater was a possible Hmong there also. Was never caught.

16. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe this is a real tragedy and it does give you a start to think what could happen when you come across someone carrying a gun on your property. I walk every day in our woods, except during the first week of gun season. Although we know all our neighbors and we all respect each other's property etc. we do have people from the city come out and just go walking off into our woods without permission. We had one crew from Detroit actually come on and start building a tree stand in OUR fenced and posted woods. I think they must believe that all woods are state land or something. Never have quite figured that all out.

17. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I think you may be right.. we also have a problem with people tresspassing and when confronted they are often genuinely confused by why we are upset. Imagine: last fall a woman rolled her "all terrain" baby buggy with a small child down to my electric (6000 v) fenceline, with her OFF LEASH :eek: Australian shepherd. The dog was positively dancing by the time I got there, thank heavens the fence is mesh, not strand! So the little kid is reaching out for the fence and I shriek.

The mother is genuinely offended, and asks me to turn the fence off so her kid can go in and "meet the sheep." She can't believe I'm being so inhospitable. "What ever happened to the nice people I've heard about in Vermont?"

Ok, so the husband is out of earshot for this one, but he did spot the dog, and just as those words come out of her mouth, the shotgun goes off... KA BAM... in a warning shot, which sends our sheep bolting into the shelter (good sheep!).

She is appalled. Across such a cultural divide, what can you do? She genuinely believed she was welcome to come onto anyone's property, take any liberties, because she was paying for a hotel room in town. As I walked her to the road I asked her if I had come to stay in her town, would she think it ok if I brought my dog into her back yard to play?

Of course not.. but this is different.

How?

Well, it is. You have "so much."

Maybe so, but that doesn't entitle her to endanger my livestock or her kid. But she left still convinced we were the worst people on the planet, and I still don't know how to communicate with these people who show up on our property again and again, convinced they have every right to be anywhere they want to be.

18. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

and I still don't know how to communicate with these people who show up on our property again and again, convinced they have every right to be anywhere they want to be.[/QUOTE]

I wonder whether having copies of the pertaining law about property rights to give to the naive trespassers. How 'bout a letter to the editor of the paper that is in the source city of these hunters. This could be a small educational campaign that extends to loose dogs and feral cats.

I find this violence unbelievably appalling. I support firmly the right to bear arms as a constitutional right, but does that mean ALL guns?

Sandi

19. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

The rifle was actually a SKS,NOT an 'assault rifle'....
    In fact SKS rifles were NEVER considered 'assault weapons' by the Assault Weapons Ban.

IF you choose to discuss an issue please educate yourself.

Also the rifle required someone BEHIND it to shoot those people-HE is to blame.

Maybe we should blame immigrants from Asia...it makes as much sense as blaming the weapon used...

20. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

"Maybe so, but that doesn't entitle her to endanger my livestock or her kid. But she left still convinced we were the worst people on the planet, and I still don't know how to communicate with these people who show up on our property again and again, convinced they have every right to be anywhere they want to be." ----- exactly

Even though we're in the city, we get people on our land. There are some that are just crooks, some that are just STUPID!
    Once, a man came in our yard, with his off-leash dog, and he looked around for at least 3 minutes, made no effort to get his animal, who was chasing my rabbits. I went down there and he said "Oh, well my dog went down your driveway!" I didn't say anything, though, because I'm 13 and no one was home. I've watched him do it to other houses too.

Ok, another. I was looking out the window, and there's this asian lady in our yard, looking around at my mom's garden. My mom went out and asked what she was doing. She didn't say anything... just walked (VERY SLOWLY) out of our yard.

Then there were some asian real estate agents. They wanted to look at their property (which is beside ours), so they walk down our driveway and to the back to look at their land.

People just seem to think that if you have land, they have the RIGHT to go on your property. The RIGHT. No... don't bother asking! It just makes me furious! Do you have to have a crocodile-infested mote around your yard so people can't go in?