Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BAD IDEA!
Had to shorten the coop legs to fit it under our porch ramp (it really is protected from the elements that way, and drains well vs being smack on the ground))... but!
so many reasons why its a bad idea!
chicken got stuck under there first year - we didnt notice one black bird outa 18 was missing.... found her a couple months later:sob:....

and yesterday notice egg count waaaayyyyy down (8 when we been getting 13-14)....

looked underneath!!!!! cause there was an egg right next to the coop edge...
FORTY THREE eggs eeeekkkkkk-- and I can see more waaayyy outa arms reach (its so tight its not even 4inches clearance I got my arm stuck)...

sigh.....
I want my Tuff shed.

L

·
0 Posts
Can you block off that space somehow? Maybe some tin sheeting or something?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you block off that space somehow? Maybe some tin sheeting or something?
the front edge into their attached run is blocked off (might have to remove it to get at the last nest)... the only problem with blocking it off is its uneven ground so there will be gaps (even an half inch means trapped chicks...) its been going on 3 years and they havent done this before!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Firewood is great for blocking off that area. My coop is raised as well. I used logs all around the perimeter of the coop to deny access. I had a few laying down there, as well. Though my home is heated with wood, so I had plenty to spare for blocking off the coop. Different sized logs work for different sized gaps.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up removing the side fencing I had around it (got all the eggs out alot easier that way, wont be too fun if its raining or snowing)....
The firewood is a good idea, but I do like to be able to see under there (after losing a 4 month old hen under there once)... I will keep that in mind.... I guess using rolled up chicken wire might work similarily, but with the benefit of visibility....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts