Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Misty Gonzales
1,027 Posts
I think the first decision you need to make is this. Do you want to show to just go have a great time and learn or do you want to do well in the show?
Dingo is right, blue butts do well. If you want to go in the ring with a decent hog and are going to work to get the best genetic potential out of that hog, then find a showpig breeder and purchase from him. Tell him/her it is your first year. You don't want to spend a lot, but you also don't want your kid to be the laughing stock of the 4-H barn either.
Prices for showpigs will vary from region to region, breeder to breeder. We have never charged more than $150 for a pig and our stock that our kids have ALWAYS placed at our state fair and last year we had one make the sale. A decent pig will run you $150 and up. Take the advise of your breeder, call him, if he is a kid orientated guy/gal, they will go to the ends of the earth to help you.
Our pigs usually sell for around 2.50/# Floor plan is additional. We have chosen to teach our kids that if they are going to do it, they better do the best they can. They buy their pigs from us. They do feed a show feed. We just see a huge difference between show feeds and commercial.
There are show bases you can mix at home with your corn.
I didn't read your location before I replied. Where are you at?
You can feed the others the milk replacers. There is nothing wrong with that.
Misty

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.