Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to brag a little - hope no one minds! :) Our county 4H achivement days livestock show was today and my children took 4 does and 2 buck kids to show. Oldest ds -13 show a 3 yr. old doe and a 2 yr. old dry doe, ds - 7 showed a 2yr. old milker, and dd - 5 showed a yearling. Out of 32 overall goats, my oldest with the three yr. milker got Grand Chapion overall dairy goat and my seven yr. old ds got reserve champ overall dairy goat. They are so happy! All the kids had a lot of fun showing and my little girl who is a cloverbud (so she is non competitive) was so happy because she got a cool rainbow ribbon. Tomorrow is the open show and I am the superintedent for the show. The children will all be showing and we are all excited! It is so much fun! I will post the results of the show when we get home!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
congrats! I can't wait for my little girl to be old enough to show, we have pretend goat shows all the time, she loves to have them on a lead and ask me what I think of her goat and if she should keep it!

·
Registered
887 Posts
So very cool! :)

I wish our county fair had goats. My oldest boys show chickens, but the 4-H for our county doesn't do goats. :Bawling: That reminds me, I want to make a phone call to the extension office about that.

The county fairs around us show goats, but not ours. I thought about driving--but that's a bit far to have to go back every day to feed and water.

The event your kids did sounds neat. You don't have to be eight years old to participate? My boys are 11 and just turned 8. The youngest wasn't old enough again this year to officially enter anything. But he did just as much work as his brother so we consider the blue ribbons his too!

Good for your kids. You should be proud. Such a neat experience for them!

Dee

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our 5 to 7 year old children show in the cloverbud division - which is suppost to be non competivite. But they decided to bump my seven year old up today because of his goat and he got reserve champ. And like tomorrow - all ages can show. Last year we had some pretty little ones showing and this year I am sure it will be the same. Goats are really taking off in this county and I am doing everything I can to promote it. Tomorrow my youngest who is 4 will be showing his goat and he is thrilled that he gets to be like the big kids!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
:dance: :dance: :dance:

That's great! Your kids must be sooo excited! Was this Trixie and Nova?

Hope you have avoided cranky people so far :)and the open show is just as fun.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anna - Trixie was champ and Nova was reserve. The children are thrilled - but tired tonight. Open show went great. Had 37 goats overall in the show. My children did really well - I am so pleased! :) :) :) Nate got grand overall dairy goat - again with Trixie, Brandon got reserve - again with Nova. Nate is champ showman for the 8 to 13 yr. olds - Brianna is champ showman for the 7 and younger age. Brandon's LM got best udder and the children got best dairy herd. Getting ready to go to a small show in SD next Saturday. Thank the lord that we have a couple of days between to get rested up.

About the crabby people - all I will say is it has been interesting. The past two days have really made me wonder why it is that some people think that everything should be handed to them. I was really steamed last night on the way home - but today I decied to let it roll off my back. I am praying now that these people won't come back for 4H this fall. Sure would make my life easier. :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts