4H Rabbit Question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by flowerpot, Apr 1, 2005.

1. flowerpot

flowerpot New Member

Hello!

My 9 year old daughter is wanting to take a market rabbit to the fair. This is our first year in 4H.

Would a Silver Martin be a good choice? I am looking for an easy breed for her to start out with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Try the 4 h leader for breeds or crosses to use.

3. flowerpot

flowerpot New Member

Hello James!

I did ask. Nobody in our group does market rabbit. They were not sure who I should ask. That is why I posted here. Thought maybe someone might know of a good breed.

Thank you for the reply!

4. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

I provide many rabbits for 4-H market rabbits in Eastern Washington. For market rabbits you need to know the age and weight requirements for your fair. Also the ownership requirements. Different fairs and different counties all have a bit different rules. I have 9 market bunnies leaving for their new homes on Sunday! :)
    I have Black New Zealands and Californains. Silver Martens could be used but they are a bit smaller and a little slower growing. My daughter and I have been helping 4-H/FFA youth for years with market rabbits. If you are interested let me know. Also if I don't have any available of the right age I can most likely direct you to someone in Washington that does.
    Denise

5. flowerpot

flowerpot New Member

Denise
    We will be going to the Grant County Fair. Have you sold rabbits for that one?
    I will get a hold of our 4H leader early this next week and try to get more info out of her. They had been talking at the last meeting that we had to get a rabbit by June 15th. That seems late to me. I thought she should get one this month.
    I am a real newbie when it comes to this stuff. How much does a market rabbit usually cost?
    Basin Feed has a very nice hutch that is $100. I was going to secure it to our goat fence so it would not blow over. It would sit almost under some trees to give it afternoon shade. It gets 100+ in the summer here.
    My daughter wanted it to live in her room and litterbox train it. We have three indoor cats that would not take to kindly to it and I do not want her to get so attached that her heart is broken when it comes time to sell it at the fair.
    Thank you for the help!!

6. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

Hi sorry to be slow in replying but last few days have been swamped with work and then the home work. Yes I supplied many of the market rabbits to the Grant county fair kids last year. In fact the Grand Champion meat rabbit came from my barn! I have several litters in the planning stages so I will send you a private message and you can contact me.
    Denise

7. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was 9 years old...more than a few years ago :) My first rabbit was a Silver Martin...I took it to my first rabbit show and it took Best Opposite Sex and best in class....so for me it worked out great!!! I wouldn't consider it a meat rabbit,...more of a pretty show and pet rabbit. There would always be comments of, OH! I't s so pretty with the different colors! Best wishes to you in what ever you choose!

8. Lilandra

Lilandra talk little, listen much

we've had great luck with Flemish Rabbits... they aren't as popular as satins and new zelands are in our area so they stood out amongst the competition.

They have a great temperment especially as they get fat. The only thing I can say about them is to handle them properly as a little rabbit because they get used to how they are held and it is hard to cuddle securely a 20 pound rabbit with an attitude.

whatever you choose, you'll have a great time making memories