4H goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by sds7, Feb 23, 2005.

1. sds7

sds7 Member

I wanted to get some information from anyone who has previously worked with their dairy goats in the 4H program. For this year's fair our goats will be in the jr. class. They are mixed breed goats. As we are new to the goat project, I'm not familiar with what will be expected in a jr. class goat for the fair. Also, any information anyone would have for good resources in getting the information we need to raise healthy, happy goats would be greatly appreciated.

2. Cheri

Cheri Member

Check with your goat leader, if that is you, check with your county extension office. We raise and show registered dairy goats, in our area there are no shows for mixed breeds, so cant help ya there. We don't raise meat goats, so couldn't help there either.

3. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

I'm a leader to a 4-H goat club in Utah. In this area we have shows for both dairy and meat goats (all wethers qualify for meat goats). My children show dairy goats. You need to find someone in your area who has shown before - or just plunge in by taking your goats to a show. There is always someone around who is willing to teach you the ropes. We have shows that we clip them for and shows that we don't clip the goats for. I have some 4-H goat booklets that were passed down to me that give goat raising basics. Also our state junior show has prizes for the best record books.

4. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm the goat project leader for our 4-H club. If you aren't signed up as a leader and can do so, you may be eligible to get the 4-H project books for free. They will have loads of info for you. If you're not a leader, you can still buy the books from the National 4-H catalog. Check with your extension office for help ordering them. They should also be able to put you in contact with 4-H families that have shown at your area fairs in the last few years. Don't be afraid to ask these folks what is expected of your kids and goats. I've found most goat peole to be very friendly and helpful to newbies! Is it the goats or the kids (people) who will be in the junior class? Junior 4-Hers in the fitting and showing class will be expected to have their goats clean, clipped, hooves trimmed and clean, eyes, ears, and noses wiped clean as well. They will need to know basic handling technique (found in the project books) and some basic knowledge of the goat (date of birth, number of kiddings and date of kidding, if showing a goat in milk), body parts, and correct terminology. For example, a male goat is a buck, or a wether if he's "fixed", a female goat is a doe. They should know the proper terms for breeding, kidding, length of gestation, etc. Most importantly, they need to make sure they really watch the judge, keep the goat between themselves and the judge and allow space between their goat and the one in front. Whew, I didn't really start out to write you a book here, so I'd better climb down off my soapbox! One book I highly recommend is "Dairy Goats For Pleasure and Profit" by Harvey Considine. There are several good goat books out there, but this one had a nice section on 4-H meetings, show technique, etc. Good luck with your goats!