4H Goat Walk

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Starsmom, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

Our 4H group decided to try something different for a fund raiser this year. We decided to use my sons 2 kids and have a Goat Walk. The 4H'ers took the goats around town and would handcuff the goat to people and they either had to pay $5 to be released or sit with the goat for 10 minutes. Well, of course most people paid and then they were allowed to select the next victim. This was absolutely the best. The kids had a ball, the people were great and we made over $500 in about 4 hours. We used both kids and alternated so they wouldn't get too tired. We kept them and their moms at the fairgrounds and would swing by and switch them out every so often. The goats even seemed to enjoy it. It was such a hit with the kids (both kinds) and the community that I'm sure we will make it an annual event. Here is a picture of my son with his goat Rocky and our Sheriff, who graciously agreed to be the first victim.

[​IMG]

2. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

What a TERRIFIC idea! Very clever and a terrific service project too, I bet that really brightened alot of people's day! What could be better that to be handcuffed to a goat? :)

3. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Oh, what fun! And a great idea for raising money. :clap: I know when I took one of my kids to the Rennaissance Faire, people were all over her wanting to pet her. Dang, I should have charged a quarter a head! :p

4. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I was a great idea. People did enjoy it. I'm sure they will be talking about it for awhile. The newspaper did an article in the paper 2 days before so alot of people knew what it was, but the real fun was watching the faces of everyone when we walked through the door with a goat. They would laugh, smile and actually came to greet him with lots of petting. The kids didn't even mind clean up detail as of course you can expect the goats did leave presents along the way. We were very careful not to place them on any carpeted surfaces :)

We had already decided we wouldn't go inside at the hospital, but we were invited in and told to walk the halls around the dr's offices, just not in the patient room area. It certainly did brighten the days of some of the people there not feeling too well. It brought smiles to everyones faces. We decided next year we will have two groups and more goats to cover more ground. The 4H'ers were disappointed we couldn't get everywhere, but after 4 hours of alot of walking, loading and unloading the goat kids were tiring out. Besides we were only testing the idea this year and had clearance from the City Sanitarian for 4 hours.