49 cattle stolen from Mass. farm

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by woodsy, Sep 3, 2012.

1. woodsy

woodsy Well-Known Member Supporter

2. plowjockey

plowjockey Well-Known Member

At $1000 per head, that's better than stealing scrap metal - less work too. :(

Only going to get worse, as people discover stealing, pays more than working.

edcopp, elkhound and countryfied2011 like this.

3. collegeboundgal

collegeboundgal -Melissa

unless bodies start showing up with a sign on them saying "cow rustler".

Terrabus, edcopp, nehimama and 5 others like this.
  4. wally

wally Well-Known Member

A farmer in our area lost a tractor and bailer out of his field ,value around a 90,000 loss

5. Bandit

Bandit Well-Known Member Supporter

Portsmouth , Va ( Formerly Tax-A-Chusettes )
    And nobody saw them being herded through the City of Providence ?

6. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

Only going to get worse

edcopp, scooter and unregistered41671 like this.
  7. RonM

RonM Well-Known Member

This has been going on for years.......

8. Terrabus

Terrabus Middle-Aged Delinquent

This gets more attention now because of the economy and location. I've known all kinds of people who have had animals turn up missing. It's a running joke with my friends when we're hungry to say we're "goin' cow huntin' because they're just standing around."

edcopp likes this.
  9. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

I havnt heard much of that here in Okla. I guess its cause we have trees with limbs that hang straight out, and some of them are in down and lowly places in big range pastures where nobody would notice them, Or the pecans or whatever that was hanging from them lol

edcopp likes this.
  10. julieq

julieq Well-Known Member Supporter

We've had rustling of calves around here for years and have been told to keep our goats out of view of the road too (which we've attempted to do).

I agree that it's only going to get worse due to the economy.

edcopp likes this.
  11. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

some what off topic, but my DD had her goat stole for about 3 months, and then about three months later a neighbor found her near there place,

apparenlty she had gone to the fair, as she had been trained to show and so on, Who we do not know, or why if some kid would have need one for fair I would have most likely loaned them a goat for the summer, but why steal it.

12. TRAILRIDER

TRAILRIDER Well-Known Member Supporter

We once got to live rent free on a huge farm because they wanted people "there" at night. They had 48 or more cattle loaded up and hauled away over night once. That was about 15 yrs ago in Lexington KY area. And a few yrs before that I lived in W. VA. next door to a dairy farm. I loved driving by looking at the cows and calves in the field. Then one morning there was a cow lying dead, one hind leg was cut off way up high. Not an animal predator in this case, it was a knife and saw. I guess its just getting worse these days.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  13. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

And it has the opportunity to get *alot* worse if things don't change in the big house... Spent the Labor Day weekend visiting and chatting to old friends about what happens if...

What do you think should happen to the thief? Hang em!

copperkid3 and powerdam1953 like this.
  14. lonelytree

lonelytree Well-Known Member

15. romysbaskets

romysbaskets Moderator Staff Member

Our Grandparents had cattle on their 360 acres on the top of a small mountain in Oregon. They would have some go missing and mainly they would be found shot as hunters mistook them for deer. Despite signs prohibiting any hunting on their property, folks came on there sometimes.

My grandpa kept his gun by his door up high, loaded and ready to go, he kept farm dogs always on the alert. All of us respected it and no accidents ever took place, all the Grandkids and their friends...it was out of their reach. It was not just for the coyotes, he would run people off from time to time but never fired a shot. There were folks brave enough to come down his driveway in a pick up truck on occasion but they never left with an animal in the back. They had to sneak in from the wild country on the exterior portion of his property if they were going to steal anything successfully, not many animals strayed back there because there were bears.

16. chewie

chewie Well-Known Member Supporter

last ranch we lived on came up 17cattle short. still don't know if they tried crossing the river and fell in (winter), or what. it was a winter that we were snowed in for weeks, so the thought of someone getting a pot in there to load that many seems highly unlikely. we wondered if they maybe made it across the river? some 'genius' left the gate open when the boss allowed him to fish there. expensive lesson for boss man!

17. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

Here, they butcher them right on the property.

18. Bret

Bret Well-Known Member Supporter

Interesting. We don't have that problem in the Indiana Territory. We have paid cows with cell phones to report suspicious goings on. We call it Cow Tipping Off.

TNnative and pamda like this.
  19. TxAprilMagic

TxAprilMagic Well-Known Member

Cattle bandits rustle 49 cows from Mass. farm

Cattle bandits rustle 49 cows from Mass. farm - Local News - Providence, RI - NBCNews.com

Providence — Police said most of the 49 cows stolen from a Dartmouth farm have turned up at a cattle auction site in Pennsylvania. Dartmouth police Sgt. Allen Shaw said that 39 of the animals have been found in New Holland, Pa. Police are still investigating, and Shaw had no additional details about the alleged theft or...

20. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Rustling cattle is nothing new. Been going on for centuries. Only the methods used change. There's a story in my home area about a small farmer who was also one of the richest. He'd start out to the railhead with 2 head of cattle and arrive with 20. He'd take one out of one herd and one out of another and so!

In the 1940s, there were a lot of shanty people living along the Wisconsin River. Only time there was work for them was temporary farm help and they often worked for food. We didn't mind hearing someone tapping on a milk can cover to dip out a gallon of milk for a baby and that was often a clue as to who was doing it. Missing vegetables also tolerated. Drew the line, however, when a calf was butchered in a barn stall. Meat was available in the river and the woods, not the barn. Got word out that next time someone could get shot. Never had that happen again.

Martin