Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Golly Miss Molly! I knew I had a few chickens in the chest freezer, but when I went to put in this last batch, I had to clean out the freezer to make room...out goes the lamb, out go the bags of veggies, out go a couple of older chickens...veggies, chicken, lamb = soup.

when I was done, I had 38 whole chickens, 1 duck, and 4 turkeys. I still have 2 chickens and 2 turkeys aging.

There are only the 2 of us (Artificer and myself), so I'm thinking it's time to stop raising chickens for awhile.

Pigs. That's my next project. yup. piggies. Gonna need a 3rd freezer....

·
Uber Tuber
6,287 Posts
You need to start canning up some of those chickens! You could lose it all if the power goes out long enough.

I can't believe how much easier and faster meal prep is when the meat doesn;t need to be thawed, and in fact is already cooked!

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
How wonderful to have all that stuff.Charlie just came from the grocery getting things for our Christmas (New Year's Day)..the only day that would work out with all the in-laws,outlaws, etc).He said he 'looked' at a frozen duck-$18.00!!!!! Guess i need to get ducks in the spring.........

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
43 pigs? OMG...no...NO!! I figured a dozen or so.....

The canning thing is something I need to get going on. I no longer have a BIG canner, so I can only do pints at the moment. I'm afraid I'm just putting it off cuz I'm lazy, tho. I've got jars and lids and time....okay. That's it. 1 turkey, canned and on the shelves by um...er....hmm...it's going to have to wait until Thursday, I'm afraid :(

·
Premium Member
29,090 Posts
charliesbugs, how close are you to Franklin County? I'll sell you some ducks way cheaper than the store. Taste much better too. Only catch is you have to clean them yourself.

I should try canning duck meat. I'm running out of freezer room too and I still have meat at Mom's. And about 30 or 40 ducks left to process, waaaahhh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts