Homesteading Forum banner

400 Gallon Bulk Milk Tank. Value?

11K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Michael W. Smith 
#1 ·
I don't know if anyone on here has an answer, but here it goes. I've got the above mentioned tank and its compressor that's been stored in a barn here for at least 20 years. It's a DeLaval and when it was stored it was a working tank. I've been approached by an Amish farmer who would like to buy it for his operation (they are starting up a milk co-op and apparently each farmer will have his own tank at the plant, not on the farm). I'd like to accomodate him, but I don't want to get taken to the cleaners, either. Does anyone know what a fair price would be for a tank like this?

#4 ·
I haven't been around those tanks in years, but they were worth a big pile of money in the mid nineties.

In 2001, I was doing some cold calling, and stopped at a mini-warehouse. The guy that owned it was rude....until I said DeLaval, and knew what they were.

His business was buying and selling used DeLaval equipment. He told me that it was a very lucrative business, and by the looks of his Cadillac, I believe him.

Clove

#5 ·
Do an ebay search for Delaval tank.

If that is what you have, it is worth a bunch more than $1 a gallon in size.

As a side note, alot of micro-breweries like these tanks for making beer.

A few years ago, it was my understanding that the micro-brew industry was creating new demand for the tanks. If I remember correctly, one micro-brew that I called on paid about $5000, on contract, for a used 400 gallon DeLaval tank, but that was years ago.

clove

#8 ·
Huh. I might have known it wouldn't be easy! Oh, well, I'll have to check around a bit. This is a dairy area so the smaller tanks are available here, although there aren't as many as there used to be Thanks for the leads, everyone!

Jennifer

#10 ·
Around here you'd get $1 for every gallon of capacity, so, $400.

thats about right aorund here too, but it also come with the compressor. I would think that if a person is buying only the tank it should be a little less money.

#11 ·
Have you considered incorporating a tank like that into you water system . .??

Is it stainless steel . . ??

My water tank is 350 gallons . . .but I'd take that tank in an eye blink.
Yes, they are stainless steel.

I already have another 400 gallon bulk tank that went through our barn fire in 1970. It's been sitting out back of the house filled with good water and ready anytime these last 38 years. And I still have the 800 gallon in the milk house and have been wondering whether I want to put water in it or not (probably will).

A lot of the small ones are used for maple syrup operations around here, although in the last ten years people with goat dairies have been buying them, too. You'll also see quite a few of them being used for whey tanks on bigger farms. Waste whey from the plant comes back to the farm and is fed to the cows that way. One nice thing about the old bulk tanks is they are not going to be pushed around by the cows and tipped over, like a regular stock tank can be.

Max, yes about the compressor. I'm not sure how good the compressor is at this point. Depends if the ends were taped over really well or not. I *think* that they were, but I haven't looked at it for years to check how well the tape is on. And at this point they may want to replace the compressor to use the new R-22 refridgeratant, anyway. This tank ran on R-12. (think I got those numbers right)

Jennifer

#12 ·
My 500 gallon stainless tank was free about 15 years ago, the compressor was shot and the farmer got a bigger tank as he was expanding his herd. I use it for rainwater storage right now. I would check on the scrap value of the stainless steel first--around Wisconsin there are thieves targeting dairies and maple syrup operations and stealing the bulk tanks for the scrap value of the metal.

#15 ·
Jennifer, I guess it all depends on how bad you want to get rid of it. Perhaps instead of selling it at a set price, if the Amishman is local (within a short driving distance) perhaps you could come up with a barter agreement - X number of free gallons of milk or something like that?!?

Perhaps you could even talk him into a lifetime of free milk whenever you need it?

It seems a shame for the milk tank to go unused in your milkhouse. Let the Amish guy be able to use to it!

I'm able to buy milk from the bulk tank of the local dairy farmer for $2.00 / gallon! It sure beats the "milk" they sell in the store. Not only do I get raw fresh milk, but I get it at a great price too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.