Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baby, it's COOOOOLD outside!!!!

We're experiencing a wind chill warning. WITHOUT it, it's -30. The dog looked at me like I was insane when I went to let her out to do her thing this morning. I don't blame her, it's one of those "spit freezes before it hits the ground" kind of days -- I can't imagine what it would be like to have to do your business outside!!!

·
North of the Hi-Line
1,096 Posts
The other day my dog was giving me that exact same look... she kept staring and staring and staring... then I gave the girl a pat on the head to snap her out of it, and she tipped right over :eek: It's strangely odd, but even today she's still in that VERY same position :confused:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It's heading our way, fortunately the heavier snow will be to the north of us. Looks like North Dakota really got hammered.

·
Premium Member
18,155 Posts

We're experiencing a wind chill warning. WITHOUT it, it's -30. The dog looked at me like I was insane when I went to let her out to do her thing this morning. I don't blame her, it's one of those "spit freezes before it hits the ground" kind of days -- I can't imagine what it would be like to have to do your business outside!!!
So what is -30º and -40º in American degrees?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I experienced -40 in the winter in the CO Rockies many years ago, and there was no wind chill, that was the ACTUAL temperature.

WAY too cold for me. There's no amount of dressing warm that will keep you comfy in that sort of cold..........

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Man, Tracy, stay inside and stay warm!

Cindyc.

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Celsius and Fahrenheit scales meet at -40. They're the same.

And if one more person says to me, "Yes, but it's a DRY cold!" I'm going to hit them. I have experienced colder weather -- there was one memorable -52 (without the wind chill) experience in Saskatchewan many years ago.... you'll note I no longer live in Saskatchewan -- but this is a deep, chilling cold that goes right through you. We live in a big old brick farmhouse built prior to the time when folks thought "insulation" was a necessity, and this kind of cold keeps the radiators going, let me tell you.

I think I'm going to talk to the contractor about blown-in insulation next week! :)

·
North of the Hi-Line
1,096 Posts
Tracy, thats a laugh! I hear that all to often as well. I personally don't feel any warmer knowing that -52 is a "dry" cold. On the coasts it certianly is a damp cold that penatrates you to the bones I'm sure, but is a dry cold being driven through every fiber of your clothing any better? Either option stinks to me!

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
The other day my dog was giving me that exact same look... she kept staring and staring and staring... then I gave the girl a pat on the head to snap her out of it, and she tipped right over :eek: It's strangely odd, but even today she's still in that VERY same position :confused:
You might want to bring her inside and try thawing her out. I know fly's will get up and fly away once they thaw. Don't know about dogs but it's worth a try.
How's your Mother holding up?

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts

You guys are supposed to be cold. You're in Canada!
We, on the other hand, are in the tropics on the KS/NE state line and are -16C/2F!!
Our windchill is currently at -26C/-14F.

There's a reason we left the Dakotas!

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
not to rub salt in your wound, but we are a balmy 45 today. wow...never knew it could feel sooooooo warm!! after 3 weeks of frigid weather and snow, THIS is my kind of day.

sounds like a time for a brandy to me. this is an emergency...whiskey in a pinch will do! or hot chocolate with marshmellows for sure! stay snuggly!!!!

·
North of the Hi-Line
1,096 Posts
You might want to bring her inside and try thawing her out. I know fly's will get up and fly away once they thaw. Don't know about dogs but it's worth a try.
How's your Mother holding up?
LOL!

Shes alright. Were both chillin out so to speak. Hope we can stand each other for a few more days...

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
last night i was working in my studio at 9pm. i like my dog in there with me, so i went outside to get him. it was a nice evening, barely freezing at all. then 1.5 hours later when i was done, going to bed, i let him out and egads! the frozen tundra must have blown in! wow! and i got that same 'are you serious' look from him too!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
We are an hour south of the Canadian border and in the midst of a blizzard. The wind chill tonight and tomorrow is supposed to be -55F. Wet cold or dry cold- cold is cold. If the wind weren't blowing you could take a cup of hot coffee and throw it into the air and it comes down in crystals. That is how cold it is here.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You guys are supposed to be cold. You're in Canada!
We, on the other hand, are in the tropics on the KS/NE state line and are -16C/2F!!
Our windchill is currently at -26C/-14F.
I'm in Canada and it's 5C/41F here. Supposed to go up to 9C/48F tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
LOL You might need to put that dog ice.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts