Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I would have gone too, if it had been close to me...and we aren't even slightly hungry. But I would have been glad to add to my canning stores with free veggies. They would just rot in the fields otherwise.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
When people are REALLY hungry, you wouldn't have enough rifles, ammo, manpower or time to keep them away from your food stores!

40,000!!!!

And they would probably come out at night too! You think deer and crows are a problem?

People can be much more stealthy than a deer when they want to. Plus they have the added smarts of knowing about motion detectors, booby traps and alarm systems. Sometimes when you shoot them, they shoot back.

·
I am good without god.
858 Posts
A great example of not flaunting what you have if you want to have a good chance of keeping it.

If that reaction is in non-Great Depression times when someone offers food for the taking, imagine what you might get if people really were hungry?

Makes me think that more preparations are needed to get rid of the advancing hordes if it were real survival.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well, that means 40,000 know where to look for 'free' food next year.
sigh...
Shelly

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Trying to look at the upside, that also means 40,000 people had the initiative to drive out there and were willing to spend a day of their own labor to get food for their families. Maybe most of them will now plant a garden of their own.

The message is out there for anyone who pays attention. The fact that this was in Colorado says volumes.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
As someone who lives within 2 hours drive of over 3 million hungry people (that cesspool known as Chicago), I took this story to heart.

I don't live on the beaten path, but rather down a side road of a side road of a side road. However you can see my garden and field from the road. I don't want 40,000 people showing up. I got enough food for maybe the first 10. The next 39,990 would eat the livestock, the pets, everything in the cupboards, and then finally maybe us.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
As someone who lives within 2 hours drive of over 3 million hungry people (that cesspool known as Chicago), I took this story to heart.

I don't live on the beaten path, but rather down a side road of a side road of a side road. However you can see my garden and field from the road. I don't want 40,000 people showing up. I got enough food for maybe the first 10. The next 39,990 would eat the livestock, the pets, everything in the cupboards, and then finally maybe us.
Ernie... don't know your topography... but is there anyway you could plant a screen of trees or shrubs? that'd block the view from the road?

Or, 'disabling' the road on both sides, to reroute traffic away from the road that allows folks to view your farm? I've thought quite a bit about this... the most obvious is placing road closed, alternative route signs...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts