4 week old Nubian with diarreah

Discussion in 'Goats' started by livestockmom, Apr 3, 2005.

1. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

I was just placed with a 4 week old Nubian with diarreah. She is alert and active though very thin. I received her an hour ago. I gave Nutridrench, CD Antitoxin oral and sub q, 1/4 cc. sub q Vitamin B Complex, 6 cc of Kaolin for the diarreah... any other ideas?
    Should I start her out tomarrow on a cocci treatment? What would cause diarreah in a dam raised kid? Oh, the man who brought her said he has been treating the mom with antibiotics for a severe cut on her foot, he thinks he will lose her and wanted the little one placed.
    Any suggestions would be great , thank you!

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Of course this is just guessing because all the things you have said, although makes us think it's cocci or worms, could likely be from the diet....mastitic milk from the dam can cause all these symptoms, as can milk replacers.........but......

I would add an oral sulfa to what you are doing. Not only because it is likely cocci, but also because sulfa's also treat many other things, bacterial penmonia, and some of the causes of bacterial diarrhea. So it's sort of a one shot deal. Your vet will carry Albon, your feed stores, Sulmet, Dimethox etc....use the treatment dosage.

Dam raised or bottlefed, cocci and worms are simply a part of life when you have goats in pens. All healthy goats have low levels of cocci in their system, unless on treatment. Stress, illness etc., causes levels to rise and cause problems. The diarrhea in the stool is likely blood from a sloughing off intestine, although the kid is saveable, it is highly unlikely it will grow or produce to it's potential now since the intestine scars over and does not heal to absorb nutrients from the food. The classic ethiopean goat look, distended bellies, with very thin skin over bones on the topline. They always look wormy. You should worm the kid also. Prevention should always be key, when you got the kid you should have wormed, started it immediatly on a sulfa, and then stopped up any diarrhea with pectates...you can also slow the gut with banamine....then rebuild the digestive bacteria with probiotics given several times a day, so the kid can curd the milk in his tummy to have normal poop. Do not kill the kid further by feeding it milk replacer. Find this ailing kid some goat milk to drink or use grocery store milk. Vicki

3. livestockmom

Thank you Vicki for your reply...
    I will start her on DiMethox 40% today. Cocci is what I was thinking too.
    Again, she is my kid as of a few hours ago, so I was not responsible for worming the mom or the kid, I have no idea if either has been done. I am just trying to do my best for her now that she has been placed with me.
    How long after the Cocci treatment is is safe for her to be put out to the pasture with other animals?

Her temp is 101.8.

We feed our goats a mixture of CalfManna, MeatGoat, Beet pulp, and Sweet cob
    with free choice alfalfa and SweetLix loose minerals.
    Is it too soon to introduce her to these? I think she was just out on browse.

Thank you again.

oh, gave brobios when she came last night and again this morning, how often should I give?

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

4 weeks is way to young to wean, are you going to try to put her on the bottle? If so for us the best way to do it was no grain, nothing until she took the bottle, it was always a battle of wills, but they can't win...a 4 week old weaned kid is simply not going to amount to much. Calf manna would be the perfect first food for her, high in calcium with the whey in it, and very high in protein, like milk...it originated as a calf replacer pellet afterall. Yep as soon as she is 100% I would treat her like you do all your goats, it's hard having one bottle kid with a herd of mama raised families though.

Why all the sweet in your goats diet....If your meat goat pellet is a good one, why add protein, soy (calf manna) to it? Why add more oats and corn and molassas to it with the COB. The protein from your alfalfa along with the calcium is the best food of course, then supplement growing kids and nursing moms with your meat goat. More calcium with beet pulp, hopefully this isn't the diet for your bucks. The ammonium chloride and cocci meds in your meat goat are super diluted by the amounts of top dressing you are doing with these other products, they can't be working. You even have molassas in your minerals :) This grain mix must be costing you a premium. Yep nosey....

I give probiotics at least 4 times a day to sick ones like this. Sounds like she is very lucky to have found you. Vicki

5. livestockmom

Vicky, thanks so much for your help, nope, your not being nosey a bit!
    First let me say, she is on a bottle, I forgot to mention that. Goats milk from my freezer. Won't wean her til 3 or 4 months. Gave CD antitoxin (not CDT), Probios ( I will give 4 times a day too, thank you) Nutridrench 4 cc, 1/4 cc Fortified B complex, could not find Dimethox 40% today, the only thing they had was Sulmet 12.5% liquid, have you used this for cocci? If so, how?
    See, we raise alot of sheep and we have a show string of Pygmy Goats. Because I have so many sheep, we are bound to have some bottle babies when we get so many triplet and quads. I was asked by a local guy if I ould take some of his Boer and Nubian kids as well " since im up anyway :) " so we have taken 6 of these little guys...this one having come late last night at 4 weeks old. Its her mom that is not well with a bad leg, he has been treating her with antibiotics. This diarreah started yesterday am when he treated mom for the 3rd day. In the pm when he treated mom again, he decided to pull her off and on he came over with her.
    The diarreah is so foul and medicinal smelling, very bad. I can't say I have ever had diarreah with our sheep and goats so maybe this is just the way diarreah smells but it is what has alarmed me.

Thanks for talking to me about our foods. I, too, think our food bill is outragous
    When we bought the goats the breeder said this is what we need to feed to do well in the ring. We mix it all up and feed FREE CHOICE and alfalfa free choice, along with baking soda and sweetlix mineral free choice. Have not entered a show ring as the shows are just starting now, but yes, the 10 of them cost more in foods that our 100 sheep in a month and they get alfalfa, corn, oats and barley too.
    What would you remove or substitute? They are all does and wethers...no bucks. I feed 1 bucket of COB, I bucket of beet pulp, 2 buckets Meat Goat, 1 bucket of CalfManna - mixed up....free choice.
    You can see these piggys at my website www.rockspringsranch.net I would love to do something different, my pocketbook would like if I did something different! thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

6. livestockmom

Vicki, I would love to hear what I should change or eliminate, I would love to make a change.