4 month old swollen from her bottom jaw teeth to

Discussion in 'Goats' started by maryanne, Aug 25, 2006.

1. maryanne

maryanne Well-Known Member

her bottom jaw bones. it is soft, warm to hot to the touch.she is eating and drinking. I thought maybe it was milk goiter, but its not swollen like at the adams apple area .It is literally from her bottom lip. back to her bottom jaw bone. (like where our neck glands are)its the size of a miniature football both sides are swollen equal.I did check her gums, they were white so I wormed her. I have albon and biosol, should I give her any? she was weaned 1 month ago and bought from a different farm, so shes not nursing. I am wondering if maybe she was stung??? any ideas appreciated.and thanks ! she looks miserable.

2. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

This is what it sounds like to me:

Quote from Fias Co Farms:
    Worming Info From Fias Co Farms

3. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I would also worm her again in about 10 days from the first worming to kill off any eggs.

4. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

If she has bottle jaw you will need to worm again in 7 days to catch the cycle...and then again in 7 days if the swelling hasnt gone down. Her mother may not have been wormed in the week after kidding....and if the mother was full of worms then so is the doeling.

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

One of my does had this last week. I wormed her and it was better the next day.
    mary

6. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Just watch her then cos the worm that causes bottle jaw can move in and out of the lining of the stomach and so dont get killed when they are not in the stomach...you worm them and then the worms go back in the stomach...hence worming again in 7 days.
    We had 2 cows die of bottle jaw this year, cos of the draught worms have been worse than ever here.

7. maryanne

maryanne Well-Known Member

thanks everyone, I wormed her and gave her some red cell too.she looks awful!I hope it isnt painful like it looks..