Homesteading Forum banner

4 month old calf not eating grain

946 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Alice In TX/MO 
#1 ·
I have a 4 month old calf and still with momma. He was eating grain with others and showing signs of dull looking checked for fever. 103.8 . Gave shot of la 300 and banamine pour on for his 410 pounds. Week before we gave bvr dead virus shots. Still not wanting to eat grain no fever now but still smells food and walks away.

#6 ·
If he's got good access to water, and adequate roughage (hay), and with a temperature like that, best treat him with a broad spectrum antibiotic, like Noromycin which I see you already gave him. It might be a waiting game now to see if he improves, or if he needs a second dose. Is he having any breathing difficulties, or a cough?

#7 ·
Poop is normal peed today gave probiotics and water this morning for gut health. Walking better like don't touch me. Normal for her. Temp 102. May have been the la300 shot messed her up.

No cough no breathing problems. Much better today just 16 degrees. No fever. Eating hay we put out again yesterday. Just a little slow eating. She is not a chow hound like the others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.