4 in 10 kids born to unmarried moms--No regrets

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by primroselane, Nov 27, 2006.

1. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

Tara Rhodes, a legal secretary in Philadelphia, learned she was pregnant. She delivered a son, Jalen, five years ago. Though Rhodes's relationship never blossomed into marriage, her boyfriend stuck around—at first. But the couple split up when Jalen was 3. Rhodes, now 35, has no regrets about being a single mom. "A lot of people get married just to say they're married. But they're really unhappy," she says. Still, Rhodes hasn't given up on the idea of marital bliss. "Eventually," Rhodes says, "I would want to do it the right way."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15892546/site/newsweek/

I wonder how old the kids will be when eventually comes along.

I always wonder if the children have any regrets.

I also wonder how many more years before 5 out of 10 kids are born to unmarried moms.

2. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

I believe that God blesses those children even if they are born out of wedlock.

Sadly ours is a world where people run from responsibility and dedication.

I've met many a good single parent though. I've met some parents who stayed together because "it's the right thing to do" and ended up messing up their kids even more.

Katrina

3. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I wonder why this is even an issue?

I would imagine far less headaches with deadbeat dads if a woman does it all by herself and that's that.

I would hate to think that the sub-context of this message is in any way religous.

4. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Being pregnant is not a good enough reason to get married.

As long as people have sex, there will be pregnancies. I prefer these babies be born rather than murdered in the womb.

5. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

I imagine that the sub-context of this report is more financial than religious.

6. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Kudos to all those women who go it alone. :) I only have dogs and I don't think I could run the household without him. :rolleyes:

7. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

one of our daughters is a single parent. Our granddaughters father was murdered in a drug double cross situation when she was about 4. Our daughter really had no business sleeping with him let alone marrying him...
    There was no way we would have pushed her to marry him. Our children also know that no matter what they do, they can always come to us honestly and we will help them face the consequences if they need it but they must face them.

They struggled for years and we helped them out a lot but they are doing great now. Our granddaughter is 13 now.

8. countryrn

countryrn Well-Known Member

I think the subcontext of the post is that people really ought to think about the possible consequences to others before going around having unprotected, unmarried sex. (and I say that as a former young and dumb, irresponsible unwed mother).

9. heather

heather Well-Known Member

LOL - good one Caroline

and bravo

10. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Some cultures are more willing to have children out of wedlock. Very common in England where saving enough money to have a really fancy wedding is more crucial than being married before the child is born.

11. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

:bdh: I guess they got tired on picking on others and have now come back to picking on single moms. Welcome back PRL :rolleyes:

12. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Hehe, at least the fat folks aren't on the firing range this week. :rotfl:

Kathy< who's width challenged! :p

13. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

I'd edit that to say unprotected sex, regardless of marital status. Plenty of married folks that need to think of consequences as well as the responsibility of raising a child(ren).

14. Melissa

Melissa member

I think if a woman does become a single mother for whatever reason, and sticks with her child and does the best she can, she should be applauded. So many children are really suffering in this country, more than many people realize. Children live with drug-addicted parents, do not have a good home atmosphere at all, or suffer from various types of abuse. If you are a good parent, good for you!

I think it is best if a child has two loving parents, but in reality, that does not always work out. Just do the best you can...