4-H project goats???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by midkiffsjoy, Jun 30, 2006.

1. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Around here they all do meat goat projects and they all use boers. I am looking for outlets for my dairy wethers. I have bar-b-q goats covered, but would 4h kids need a dairy wether for anything, or just does for dairy projects????

(Yes the whole 4h thing confuses me. I showed a HEIFER! They didnt even HAVE goats back then. All rabbits, broilers, pigs, steers, heifers, or SHEEP!!!)

Thanks all for putting up with my questions!!!! grin.

2. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

You can use dairy wethers for 4-H pet goat projects, 4H pack goat, cart goat...and weedeaters! =)

3. animalfarmer

animalfarmer Well-Known Member

I don't know about Texas,but up here in New England I personally slaughter and dress many,many dairy goat wethers each year.In fact ,we even have some young people who have fattened dairy weathers as meat goats entered them in many competitions and won.When the season is over they bring them over here an I either buy them from them,or if they are interested and want the meat,I hang them up and teach them how to slaughter and dress them out.It is a good experience for most folks and perhaps if you have the capability you might consider this approach to market your dairy wethers.Best of luck,John.