3pt. conversion kit

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HoosierDeb, Dec 20, 2003.

1. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

My friend has a 1951 Farmall Super C tractor he has been keeping here. He's been trying to sell it and has had no luck. I need a tractor to use around here since he took the small tractor back home with him. It has a 3 pt. hitch and plow. The Super C doesn't. I saw a conversion kit for a 3pt hitch in a magazine and thought maybe it would be an option for the Super C. At least I could use it then for stuff around here. Has anyone used one of these kits on a similar tractor? Do they work and are they worth whatever they cost? If anyone has links to antique tractor sites where I could ask the same questions, I'd appreciate having them.

Thanks

2. I am not familiar with the back end of the 51 Farmall. Questions: Does it have a PTO shaft? Does it have a drawbar? Does the drawbar raise/lower with hydraulics? A friend of mine did a 3pt conversion on an old International 240. It was simply a matter of bolting on a bracket for the draglink. If you need to modify/add things like hydraulics, you will be in for a tough time.

3. george darby

george darby Well-Known Member

if i remember right the C has hydrolics,the B does not i have an old B and suspect the add on 3 point would almost equal the value of the tractor ,they are good little tractors but a little light to be doing much lifting id say if your doing some light 3 point work and mabey a loader then invest in one of the small tractors designed for that taken care of the value should not depriciatethe C is a good rowcrop and light tillage /pulling tractor but not made for the work you want it for.

4. HoosierDeb

Thanks guys. I did find Yesterday's Tractors and posted there. The Super C does have hydraulics and pto. He has a front end loader on it but its just a dump bucket... no hydraulics to the bucket, just to raise and lower the thing but it does come in handy. The plow that he has for it is, according to him, too hard to use. I"m sure that there are other plows out there for it that would work better but he won't listen to me... I'd like to use this tractor. It runs great and would have enough power to plow my little punkin' patch and garden and haul things around. And it's just sitting here.

5. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I have seen a superC with 3pt kit or maybe it was homemade version cant remember. These are small tractor but bigger than a high boy cub. I think it could handle 4foot brushhog or even a 5ft for light duty use. I've seen Allis Chalmers that size run a 5ft brushhog. Also maybe a small blade and a one bottom plow. You may end up needing weight added to front end for some applications. Dont expect miracles and it will work. Personally I think the kits are way overpriced. When I wanted to put 3pt on my old Allis WD, I just measured 3pt system on modern tractor that size and welded up my own. I have bunch scrap iron around and I weld so dont think it cost me over $25 and that was because I needed some pins and swivels, etc. It worked just fine and I made it adjustable although not as fancy as factory version. I also cant remember if superC has a lift or not built in. If you need a hydraulic cylinder to operate the 3pt hitch it will cost more. And if you need an add on hydraulic pump and control unit, more yet. My WD had an Allis proprietary design hydraulic lift system. I just used it as part of the 3 point system.

6. HoosierDeb

Well, forgive my technical language here, but he's got a big round thingy on the back of the tractor that has something to do with the hydraulics so I'm assuming it's either the cylinder or the pump.... mechanical ( as in motors) things and I don't really get along too well so I'm not sure what everything is, but I AM trainable and once I learn about something I can usually figure out how to use it. I used to use my dad's old AC tractor and help him with the farm stuff. WE used that tractor for tillage and haymaking on my folks 20 acres. I used the front end loader and manure spreader to clean out the barn so I"m not completely tractor illiterate but close. "Alice" was a great tractor. It think the Super C would do most everything I'd need it for at this point, if I just had the equipment I needed for it.

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You can buy an on-land plow that pulls off the drawbar. It has wheels of it's own and lifts with either hydraulics or mechanically. 3pth is nice but any add on likely won't have draft control to keep a plow running at a consistant depth. I think I'd spend my money on equipment designed to work with the tractor as built. Or I'd do what Hermit did and build my own. Would the "round thingy" be on the PTO? Maybe the loader uses the PTO to power a hydraulic pump?

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

Deb, why don't you post some pics(of the tractor) and let all us old red necks have alook so we can commenserate about all the possibilities of your new mochine , ..........fordy :confused: :eek: :worship:

9. HoosierDeb

<Would the "round thingy" be on the PTO? Maybe the loader uses the PTO to power a hydraulic pump?>

Yes, now that you mention it, it is... I'll bet that's it. I'm going to look around for some equipment for the tractor. I know there has to be a plow that works better than the one he has. I haven't actually seen it in action but I guess it's hard to lift up out of the ground at the ends of the rows and all. I'm sure there are old ones around that work better than that. He might not know how to adjust it either. Ron's a wannabe farmer with a lot less experience and a lot less "book knowledge" about stuff than me. I have trouble getting him to listen to me though and when he discovers I really do know a little about things, he's always surprised. And he's surprised when I've been less than enthusiastic when he's said he oughta marry me. LOL

10. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

Before you start "accessorizing" another mans tractor I'd look around for a good used machine of a more modern nature that will deliver mechanical Solutions for your problems rather than having to constantly worry about some old thing that will be aconstant drain on your visa card........fordy... :D

11. HoosierDeb

<Deb, why don't you post some pics(of the tractor) and let all us old red necks have alook so we can commenserate about all the possibilities of your new mochine>

I happen to have some pics of the tractor. I don't know how to put them up here though. Can anybody help?

12. HoosierDeb

<Before you start "accessorizing" another mans tractor I'd look around for a good used machine of a more modern nature that will deliver mechanical Solutions for your problems rather than having to constantly worry about some old thing that will be aconstant drain on your visa card......>

I figured I could pick up a plow for not too much money. He does have a disk for it already. I wouldn't need too much more. My dad has one of the Ford "Ns" (not sure whether it's an 8 or a 9) that has a bush hog but it's not working right now. I'll offer to pay to get it fixed so I can use it next summer so won't need to have one of those. I'd like to find a posthole digger for that too.
    Ron's tractor is here and isn't going anywhere soon so I wouldn't mind buying a plow for it. I can sell it if Ron happens to sell the tractor. I have some medical bills I'm paying off so don't have the money to buy a tractor at the time being. When I refinance my place I'll borrow a little more for a barn and tractor and then get a more modern one but for right now I figured this one would work without having the outlay of cash a different one would take.

13. Ross

Here's a picture of the tractor Deb is considering. That loader (if I'm not mistaken is for stacking loose hay and similar light loading jobs. No matter that trike front end should keep you humble in your attempts. I also think I'd re-recomend that onland plow so your level when plowing.
    [​IMG]

14. Ross

Here's another picture of Deb's tractor.
    [​IMG]

15. HoosierDeb

I'd rather have a wide front end on a tractor ... too easy to tip one with a narrow front and I would imagine with a loader on it it would be even easier. The area I have to work it flat so at least I don't have to worry about using it on hills, except to get down to the field and back. Not the perfect tractor by any means, but it's free. LOL. I'm sure that just getting a different plow will cost less than the 3pt attachment and a plow and disk too. I'll talk to Ron before I buy anything and make sure it's going to be here in the spring. It's been here for 2 years now so I don't expect it's going anywhere any time soon. ;-)
    Spring seems a long time off but it has a way of creeping up on you without realizing it. I'm going to make a better effort to get things going here. I've been waiting for things to be just right for too long..... they'll never be just right.. might as well work with what I have.

Deb

16. HermitJohn

[​IMG]

Here is a Super C or maybe its just a C with 3pt hitch. Nice job, suspect it is a kit athough it wouldnt be hard to weld up something simular. This particular C must have just had the front cultivator lift and notice how the designer of the 3 point hitch raises hitch by connecting hitch to the cultivator lift with cable. I also found a Super C with a 2-point IHC proprietary lift kit. I liked that IHC 2 pt lift system on older IHC tractors and it was really easy to convert to 3pt when necessary. As to draft control, I have seen work arounds, not as nice as real draft control. A one bottom pull type plow might be little rare unless you custom make one out of an old 2bottom plow. Only one bottom trailer type plows I have seen were made for horse use and had seat for rider on them. If I were to suggest how to adapt one of these horse drawn sulky plows, I would say weld on a three point setup to attach to tractors 3 pt system, then instead of a third arm use a relatively slack chain. This would let plow be set to depth and pull on its own wheels while plowing, then at end of row lift 3 point lift on tractor is raised, taking up slack in chain and entire plow wheels and all come up into air. Just my 2 cents worth.

17. HermitJohn

I like wide front also especially with loader. However its a misconception that the tricylce front is inheritantly unstable just because it is tricycle design. Its more that tricycle type tractors were designed as row crop tractors and were high off the ground to allow clearance when cultivating crops. This high design makes for a high center of gravity (bulk of weight is high off ground) thus making it far more unstable than a tractor with low center of gravity. By way there were wide front end kits sold for many older tractors. Those handy with welder tended to just adapt a front beam axle from an old style pickup. Lot cheaper but not as adjustible.

18. HoosierDeb

Is a 2 bottom plow too much for this tractor? We use a 2 bottom on the little Bolens tractor without much trouble. I think the plow we have out here for the Super C is a 2 bottom.

Deb

19. HermitJohn

Depends on the soil. If you have some kind of light sandy or high organic matter soil then sure you might pull a 2-12 or a 2-14. If you have heavier soil then I would imagine the tractor would really struggle.

I plow with a Massey Harris 444. This is a 6000 pound tractor with about 45hp I would guess. I can pull a 3-14 but its a struggle in heavily sodded clay and not much point just to do garden type area. Much easier when I converted plow to 2-14. Remember this is a much heavier and more powerful tractor than a SuperC. Now admitting my tractor is not at power that it had out of factory, l can say from childhood memory: Dad had a Super M Farmall. In Iowa clay loam, it could happily pull 3-16. My grandfather had a Super H Farmall and it could handle a 2-16. A regular H could pull a 2-14 All these were bigger than a Super C. so......I would think a one bottom 14 inch or 16 inch plow would be about limit. If you are just plowing a garden then dont think struggling with a 2 bottom plow would have any advantage.

As to Bolens are you referring to something like this:

[​IMG]

If it is, then either you are plowing feathers or that must be a really tiny two bottom plow.