383 Stroker

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by oldtruckbbq, Oct 14, 2017.

1. oldtruckbbq

oldtruckbbq Well-Known Member

Thanks to a rear main seal leak and losing oil pressure due to the press in oil pump pickup falling out, I pulled the motor and transmission from my old Chevy truck and am in the process of building it into a 383 Stroker. This will be the second one I have done in an old Chevy truck, and man are they fun! About the only thing I'm using from the old engine is the block, Edelbrock Performer intake, and Edelbrock carb. It is getting new aluminum cylinder heads, new higher lift cam and lifters, new Eagle Stroker kit balanced rotating assembly, water pump, alternator, fuel pump, and various dress up bits.

Then engine will be freshly painted, and the transmission is getting new input and output seals, as well as a good cleaning and painted to match the engine. Makes it easier to keep clean. I'm in the process of scrubbing, degreasing, and painting the engine compartment, suspension, and frame rails while the engine is out. Might as well put it into a sparkly new home!

Notice the grime and junk on the floor. I put a heavy piece of cardboard under the engine and transmission to catch stuff as I pulled the engine so I don't get all that on the floor to have to clean up later.

I bought the truck as a project, and will be using it a lot as we clear our new place and create our homestead. And eventually it will be used to tow a BBQ smoker and gear to events to sell BBQ as Old Truck BBQ.

Engine Bay.jpg

Motor minus the driver side valve cover. Hard to believe that the engine block and timing cover are painted blue! It will be degreased, rebuilt, and painted a bright red-orange before going back into its shiny new home.
    Engine.jpg

I'll be posting pics of the goodies going in and on the engine, as well as some general "how to" and what I should have done different. Can't wait to get the engine compartment cleaned up so I don't get filthy just opening the hood! But then, that's what you get with a 79 Chevy truck unless you spend the bucks to get one that has already been at least partially restored.

Cabin Fever and farmrbrown like this.
  2. Outlier

Outlier Well-Known Member

Would it be more money or maybe less fun to go with a long block ?

3. oldtruckbbq

I almost went with a long block, but decided to go this way. I got a good deal on a balanced stroker rotating assembly, complete with documentation concerning weights of connecting rods and pistons before and after weight matching. A long block would have definitely been quicker, but building a motor is one of the things I had planned when I bought the truck. I've been working 12 hour days the past week and a half to cover another guy on vacation but have some days off coming up later this week so I will have a chance to finish cleaning and detailing the engine compartment, then work on getting the motor clearanced and begin assembly. When I get going in the "shop" I'll do 16 hour days without even thinking about it because it is something that I enjoy.

4. oldtruckbbq

Its been a busy month between work and clearing trees to begin construction on our homestead, but I finally managed to get the short block put together. Over the next couple weeks between work and cold weather (unheated work space) I should get the top end and accessories mounted so I can mate engine and transmission and put them back in the truck. While I was fussing and cussing during the timing chain install my wife commented that it sure didn't sound like I was enjoying myself. I had to laugh.

5. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

Looks like " Ford blue, " too !

6. Outlier

I know all about unheated work spaces... Although I have to say, the winters we have had the last few years are not
    like the winters I remember from the mid 1970's.

Did you have the block checked for cracks or have any machine shop work done on it?

7. oldtruckbbq

Yes, standard block prep work, and this will end up being the last rebuild on this block as it was already at .040 and had to go out to .060. And I'm thinking this will be my last rebuild as well. Things are a lot more when you are 39 instead of 59.

8. Outlier

I didn't know one could even go .060 over.

I assume you had the block bored before you bought the pistons/rods/crank.

I've done some small engines but nothing that big. 59 as well, so might never get around to that kind of project.

I did my land clearing back in 2011 to 2013. At the time I posted a lot of photos about it on another "homestead" forum
    but the guy who ran the forum decided he wasn't making any money off it and shut it down. I don't know if I
    would be up to it now. Sold that parcel of land a year or so ago but still have another, all wooded.

Interesting thread.

9. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I dont know that I ever seen engine more than .040 over. Hmm, maybe some of the real antiques with much thicker castings??? I thought you wanted to rebuild after that, you needed to sleeve it. Not that many engines get rebuilt so usually can find block that has never been rebored and redo that.

10. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

That is bored out a lot !! Is it a 4 bolt main ?

11. oldtruckbbq

Yes, 4 bolt main. Good block with no cracks or issues so I reused it one last time. It is easy to find parts for .060 overbore. Next rebuild I will buy a long block to put in it because I've got enough irons in the fire that finding time to do it right has been a challenge, especially since my current work space is not ideal and has really poor lighting. My garage/workshop on our place will have lots of good LED lighting, but I'm not going to spend money on lighting for a rental that we hope to be out of in 12-15 months. Not so bad in daylight when I can take advantage of ambient lighting coming in the 6 foot tall windows on the screen porch, but once the sun goes down there isn't enough lighting to read a feeler gauge without pulling out my flashlight.