36 GM 6.2L Diesel Engines - Gov't Surplus

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ken Scharabok, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

At almost 2000 each, I don't know how profitable it would be.

3. Ken Scharabok

Where does the 2,000 ($?) come from. As I read the listing this lot includes 36 engines in metal boxes. Starting bid is $50 for the lot, or an opening bid of about $1.40 per engine. Clarksville is the home of Fort Campbell Army Base, home of the 101st Infantry. They have about a dozen lots of these listed by number of engines in the lot. Description does not say whether they are new, overhauled or being scrapped as beyond economic repair or surplus to needs. Whatever condition I wouldn't expect them to go for less than scrap value.

4. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

I think he was looking at the acquisition cost.

5. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Clicked on the cond. H7 and got this deff.
    Material which has been determined to be unserviceable and does not meet repair criteria; Type I shelf life material that has passed the expiration date, and Type II shelf life material that has passed the expiration date and cannot be extended. NOTE: Classify obsolete and excess material to its proper condition before consigning to the DRMO. DO NOT classify material in supply condition H unless it is truly unserviceable and does not meet repair criteria. ¶

You got me all excited thinking how close they where. :D Fort Campbell's property line is about 600ft from my door step.

6. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Yup, my mistake, I was looking at Acq. cost.

7. Ken Scharabok

I worked for the Air Force Material Command until retirement. If I remember correctly the normal repair/scrap point was rebuilt costing more than 60% of new. Army may have a different criteria.

No doubt these have seen service in Iraq.

For someone willing to pull parts for resale as/is, where/is, might still have potential. Note they are already in nice shipping containers.

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

9. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

the H7 designation really doesnt mean those are not something you couldnt get your money back out of, but you may end up tossing a few into the scrap heap as some may have spun cranks, locked up tighter than a tick on a bulls back, or maybe they just could do away with them cause thee been sitting around longer than the length of time before actually being given to the motor pool to put into a rig needing a new engine and you get a jewel or two for next to nothing.

once in awhile places like Colemans Surplus gets those lots and they end up in a catalog or on ebay [yes ive checked some of that stuff oout too] there are other folks who also bid and do the same thing..... and once inawhile folks like us get into it and get stuck, or they make out like bandits and then get stuck down the road with a fe worthless lots of things.

There are better ways to turn a dollar, but if a person can inspect the contents before hand like on the old GSA and DOD sales then it wouldnt be as big of risk.......

William

10. oldcj5guy

oldcj5guy Well-Known Member

They are most likely new engines for replacement. They are obsolete as the 6.5 with turbo came into use for the hummers, and the 6.2 is a dog. Unless you are buying them for scrap, I wouldn't advise buying them.

11. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Um whats a sf97 for us dummies, and why cant you get a title to them? If nothing else declare them homemade etc should work, right?

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

SF97 is required when you go to register them.
    ----------------------------------------------------

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_auctions_tips.php3
    For vehicle purchases, make sure you ask for Form SF97 which is your Certificate of Release proving that you are the legal owner. You will need it to get a civilian registration (see the Olive-Drab topic on Registration Issues). The DRMS may or may not be willing to give you an SF97 through Government Liquidation.com; if the vehicle is being sold as scrap, especially if it is a HMMWV or M-151 "residue" they will not give you an SF97 because they don't consider it to be a vehicle anymore. Ask ahead of time if you are not absolutely sure of the status of the item you bid on.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_register.php3
    Apparently there are ways around it,for a price.

BooBoo

13. silverbackMP

silverbackMP Well-Known Member

6.5 is only available in factory armored HMMVs (and a few others that may carry extra weight). Normal HMMVs and ones that have been upgraded with kits still have 6.2s. Most likely these are full of sand (talcum powder like dust) and have other "issues" do to operation in 130 degree plus heat.