Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals.
Haven't been on for a long time.
Soooo, all has been good until last winter and now.
Our 31 yr old pony started really lose weight during winter. She's Welsh, with fully 4" hair during winter, so hard to tell weight loss.
I started noticing chewed grass cough balls.
So I called the vet for a tooth float.
He said she's lost 3 teeth. And if the float didn't work, her teeth aren't growing back, to grind grass.
t's June in Illinois, she eats green grass etc.
But I see the grass coughballs, Everywhere!
She's spunky, and still acts very young.
Soooo, my question to anyone that hS dealt with the Old Horse/Pony issues,
Any tips??? Especially this winter.
She has several years left. Just have to keep her body in great shape.
Thanks so much, for your tips and Help.
Terry

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,248 Posts
Purchase "senior horse" food. Lots of companies make a variety of it. It's pellets of nutritional ground up feed products. Because it's already macerated, the horse doesn't have to chew, and it's specifically designed for this use. I fed it to my old mare, and now, I'm feeding it to two senior dairy goat.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Purchase "senior horse" food. Lots of companies make a variety of it. It's pellets of nutritional ground up feed products. Because it's already macerated, the horse doesn't have to chew, and it's specifically designed for this use. I fed it to my old mare, and now, I'm feeding it to two senior dairy goat.

No experience here, so just asking-- does the senior feed provide the roughage so important to horses' GI health?

·
STILL not Alice
20,223 Posts
No experience here, so just asking-- does the senior feed provide the roughage so important to horses' GI health?
Yes, it does provide sufficient roughage. If the horse is in a state where he cannot chew the pellets, you can soak them in water before feeding.

Some folks will also feed hay cubes that have been soaked in warm water, but make sure to only prepare enough for one feeding. They can get a little rank if they sit around too long, and begin to smell like goat cud.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Horses don't die of old age, they die from starvation. At some point their teeth give out, and they can't chew their food properly. Chewing is the first step of digestion, when they can no longer properly digest their food they starve. Equine Senior Feed, will help for a while.

·
STILL not Alice
20,223 Posts
I seem to recall some sort of supplement, maybe an enzyme (?) that helps senior horses.

Reactions: TerryR

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips!
So sad to see this happen.
But again to say, "that's life"!

·
Administrator
19,764 Posts
All we can really do is look for solutions and watch their quality of life.

·
Premium Member
20,694 Posts
With 4 inch hair growth, being an aged pony, has your vet pulled blood for a Cushings test?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts